Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Mate

E-Tec 90 not preforming well.

I purchase used Carolina Skiff w/ E-Tec 90, 2013. I'm having problems. When I first took it out it planed just fine. Now it is not doing anything close to planing. My RPM are around 1500 - 2000 nothing higher than that. It is running in limp mode. Took it to the mechanic. He found 1 codes TPS circuit fault, maybe CPS problem also. He cleared the code, took it back to the lake, same problem. According to him the sensors were not bad. However, I checked it out myself this time. No, faults active. However, it has no power, it shakes. When I loading it back on the trailer. I gave it full thottle and it would barely get on the trailer. Just to give you more incite of other problems I don't understand. I had a full canister of oil when took it out the 1st time. He told me it was empty when I dropped it off to him from the lake. Don't understand that problem either had to buy more oil and I did. 100XD yet the oil sensor wasn't bad. Also, I used a lot of fuel, the whole tank. When I got back the second time it didn't hard use any oil or fuel, about 5 gals gas. It starts just fine, with no problems other than I have to wiggle the shifter into neutral position. So, I'm wondering if that is a problem also. Would you please offer some suggestions.

Admiral

Re: E-Tec 90 not preforming well.

It has to be frustrating to have a problem with your outboard that the dealer cannot find. You didn't give us many details or much information but if I had to guess, it may be that one fuel injector is not firing or there is a fuel delivery problem or low fuel pressure going to the injectors.

Talk to your dealer and have a technician with his laptop go for a ride with you to observe the problem first hand.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Mate

I appreciate your response. I have talked with the Mechanic today. He did check the fuel pressure. He stated that it was constant at 32 psi when he was running the tests. He did think it could be a mechanical problem because I have 849 hours on the engine. 840 hr according to the history was when that fault occurred. Now it has 859 hrs . He also mentioned also it could be a fuel problem as well, in-regards to fuel injectors. I'm not sure he would go to the lake with me to monitor the problem because the nearest lakes are hours away. He doesn't have others to help with this. So, that is why I'm forced to do it by trial and errors, by him do what he can. I then take back to the lake and see if that fixes the problems I am having. We intend to replace the TPS and CPS. I think it may be neutral switch in the engine. From reading one of the problem others have had on the forum. Either way we will and go from there since that was the last known problem on the engine. I will see if that fixes the problem and go from there. If you have other suggests let me know. I will tell him what you suggest as well.

Admiral

Be sure to take notes and give us accurate data such as rpm, times before problem develops, etc.

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Captain

Re: New E-Tec 90 HO

S.a.f.e. (limp) mode limits rpm to 1200 and the cause will set a code. Not all codes will put an engine in s.a.f.e. mode but the diagnostic program will indicate if your TPS code did.
There is a switch on the shift linkage of the engine that is pressed in when the engine is in neutral and should spring load to the open or "in gear" position when the engine is put in gear. If this switch sticks the engine will hit the neutral rev limiter of 1600 to 1800 rpm. The engine runs rough and sounds like cylinders are misfiring when on the rev limiter.
This switch will not set a code but the switch operation can be observed either by sight or an indicator on the diagnostic software. I've spent some time diagnosing engines because I was looking at codes and forgot to look at the gear position switch operation.
TPS codes can be set by misadjusted cables which allow the throttle roller to touch the throttle cam in neutral.
Highlighted
Admiral

Another item that may be a culprit is the throttle lever on the motor sticking intermittently.  Ask your dealer to see if your motor and the throttle lever comply with service bulletin 2014-02(S)