Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Skipper

Soon to be new Evinrude 60 hp owner

Hello everyone,

I have recently ordered my retirement present, a new SeaArk River Extreme RXV 186 Side Console with a new Evinrude 60 hp etec. I live near Fort Madison, Iowa and mostly fish for flathead cats by bank line on the Skunk river. I also fish on the Mississippi river by rod and reel for channel cat. I would love to hear how other members like or dislike their etecs. I am sure the new one I have on order will be like night and day compared with the motor I now run on my 17 foot Tracker Pro although it still runs like a sewing machine and it is a 1989 model Johnson 40 hp.

If anyone has a etec 60 let me know how it has done for you. 

Admiral

Re: Soon to be new Evinrude 60 hp owner

With today's gasoline, insist that the dealer installs a boat-mounted fuel-water separator to protect your new engine from fuel contamination problems.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Mate

I don't have a 60 but bought a new 40 3 years ago replacing a 1999 Johnson that came with the boat new,

I can tell you several things (none bad) 1) It is quite, 2) gas consumption is fantastic, 3) it idles down great for trolling, 4) It is faster than my buddies 60hp Merc 4 stroke"we have the same bass tracker boat" , I live just a couple of minutes from lake Ontario and I use the boat for trout & Salmon fishing 2-3 days per week in addition I have a camp in the 1000 islands area of upstate NY where I fish for Pike, Walleye & Bass. My point here is that in the 3 years that I have had this E-Tech and use it a lot I have not had a single problem with it. Winterizing is as simple as running the fuel out of the line. I can't really think of any down side except the oil is a bit expensive but a gallon lasted me 3 years with a lot of use so..... The cost over that period is not really that bad. I must say that in my lifetime (I'm 56) not too many things that I have purchased were really better than advertised but this has to be the one! Good luck with yours I really think that your going to like it!

Skipper

pikeopay--Thanks for the reply, I am getting a lot of good reports on the internet about how awesome the E-tec is.

Of course there are always some who have had a problem but even then most with problems have stated how great Evinrude warranty service has been. I feel I made the right choice by going 2-stroke evinrude. Talked to my dealer today and looks like the boat may arrive in Feb.. Now if winter would just back off. 

Admiral

Pikeopay wrote: Winterizing is as simple as running the fuel out of the line.

Please do not run the fuel out of the lines. When a fuel injected engine is run dry, the electric fuel pump and the injectors could be damaged over time as they both use the gasoline to cool and to lubricate the moving parts.

Use a fuel stabilizer such as Evinrude's 2+4 and the self winterizing procedure explained in the owners manual.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Mate

Last Spring, I traded my 2004 Johnston 50hp in on a 2013 Envinrude e-tec 60hp. I absolutely love this motor and highly recommend it!

I run this new motor on a 2004 Sylvan Explorer 1600 SC and with the current prop and one passenger, it will do 35 mph trimmed out. When the boat is filled to capacity with passengers, it will comfortably do 25mph.

Besides the fact that my new Evinrude etec consumes much less fuel and injection oil than my old Johnston, the electronic fuel injection assures that it starts instantly first time and every time which was definitely not the norm for my old twin carb Johnston.

Besides my total satisfaction with the motor, I also got a 6 year warranty to boot.!     

Captain

Congrats on your new purchase, I promise you won't be disappointed and yes it will be like night and day. Good luck on the water in your new rig.
Hook N' Look
Captain

I bought a 60 e-tec tiller last spring on a 1754 jon-boat, lots of get up and go but has lots of handle vibration when trolling. my 50hp honda was much better on fuel, is what it is. If I bought a nother one would go for the next size in a three cylinder.