Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Highlighted
Captain

What type of rod do you use for bass fishing

Would like to know what type of action, length, handle and guides you have on your fishing rod. And what rod you use for throwing different style baits or plastics.

The Postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent BRP's positions, strategies or opinions.
Highlighted
Mate

Re: What type of rod do you use for bass fishing

I use a  7' Axel Rod, with very small eyes, Abu Garcia spinning reel with #8 braid, I like to use trick worms almost exclusivly and this is the best set up for me.

Highlighted
Skipper

Excuse me for finding that terribly funny. It is only because if you look in my shed or rod locker, or that of most lifelong fishermen, you'll find about 30 rods and reels for everything you can find to fish. Knowing where you are from and your question on bass lakes, I'll give you my big 4 to zero in on. Understand this is a starter guide to what I'd replace first.

A Med Hvy  7'6" flipping stick. A good quality (left hand retrieve for me) low geared reel with flipping switch and 30-40# braid for timber, heavy cover, and my personal favorite, lily pad fields. Reel in 4.7-5.2 gear range.

A Med Action 7' rod of more parabolic action for tossing cranks. Hi-Speed reel with 12-14' mono. Since not much of your cranking is very deep in WI lakes, a brute force reel with low gearing is usually not necessary for deep divers. If it is you use the flipping reel with a back spool of mono or flouro

A Med Action Fast tip 6' rod with med speed reel for spinnerbaits or worms or sundry other all around presentations.

A 6' spinning Med - Med Hvy for dock skipping and jig worms. Good reel with 2 spools, one 8# mono, one 20# braid.

These are basics for your area. Second spools and quick change adds versatility. I'm old school and still use mono over flouro, tho new lines need to to be checked. Hated first flouro lines. As for guides, again old school. Any high quality guide, Fuji is a good company, properly spaced, will do the job. If you really get into bass fishing serious you're going to find the need for way more rods than any one person can justify, so I quit trying to justify it.Smiley Wink

Highlighted
Captain

A Dobyns Rod of course Smiley HappySmiley Happy Too many rods and actions to list. A great verstile rod would be a 7' med-hvy power with a fast action. Most companies will rate it as a 3 power. Grab one of these, a mod-fast crank bait rod, I like a 7 footer for all around, a stouter rod for frogs, flippin & pitchin, and just hvy cover fishing, I like a stout 7'3" 5 to 6 power rated rod....and you can cover a huge percentage of baits and techniques with these 3 rods. Good luck fishing!!
Highlighted
Skipper

Just a side note. After having only inspected and played with a Dobyn's rod, if I were starting over again I couldn't go wrong building my arsenal around his work. One mistake I made and am too old to worry about now is not staying with a tackle company and getting familar with all their product. My collection features work of every mfg'er, which is not all bad but would stick with one good company and build around them if had to start all over.