Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Skipper
Accepted Solution

04 225 DI starting ans idling problem

Hey all, Im having some issues with my motor Its a 04 225 DI E225FLHSRM 243hrs

Heres my problems:

Idle rpm surging 580-710 rpm

Barometic pressure reading 29.53 when actual was 30.12 (weather station down the street)

Takes 2-3 times to start.

Stalls a couple of times before running. 

Once running, it seems to studder a bit under 2k rpm but once I get going and run it hard for a few mins, it purrs at idle. 

Also, after shutting down for a hr or two, it fires up ans stalls 2 times and the 3rd is a charm. 

Heres is whats been done:

Recent plugs (wp10's) gapped at .028

Higher temp t-stats

Recent decarb

Back pressure sensor cleaned

New starter solonoid

Adjusted idle stop bushing according to service manual.

Capacitor tested

11.8v - 22.7v starting. SAC seems to be working fine.

40v system ranging from 34-39v depending on RPM

13v batt volts

Fresh fuel

TPS 0% at idle

TPS .78v at idle

Run xd100 oil

I havnt checked fuel pressure yet, I have the adapter hose on order which should be here next week. 

I've had the motor for a year, its a strong motor but a bit challenging to get it right. I know this is capable of firing up the first time and I want to get there. 

Thoughts? Bluewaterbill?

Admiral

Re: 04 225 DI starting ans idling problem

[ Edited ]

Only 243 hours in 15 years?  That averages less than 20 hours per year. The motor has sat unused for long periods of time and you may find varnish or corroded fuel system parts such as inside injectors, fuel pumps, and with the vapor separator tank.

Your voltages are a bit on the low side and that may be cause to remove the flywheel and inpect the magnets and stator windings.  TPS at idle is a bit on the high side, closer to 0.6 V may be better. Inspect the reeds also.

What is the cranking voltage measured at the starter B+ post and the starter frame? It should not be less than about 10V or the battery, cables, or connections could be faulty.

A compression check is helpful but does not always tell the whole story. A leak-down test or removing the heads may disclose scuffing, corrosion, or stuck rings.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Skipper

Thanks Bluewaterbill

I suspected the lower voltage on the 40v circuit may be part or my main problem. I will ohm out the coil and see what I come up with.

TPS, I never suspected the higher V as an issue. Will check that as well.

What do you recomend to clean out the fuel system? I've used Sea Foam in the past on other motors but hesitant on this one due to the injection system. I heard some horror stories. Also, what do you recomend for dosage?  

Will check the starter voltage as well. I have a new battery w/ 1000 CCA. 

Highlighted
Skipper

I checked the stator, I didn't have to look too far as I noticed a couple of the coils partially melted. I ohm'd it and came up with some crazy numbers so I ordered a new one.

I also ordered a new TPS.

I checked voltage on B+ post to the frame, Im getting 10.8v. 

The motor has been used regularly but not for long periods of time. Its on a bass boat so there's been a lot of short trips. A lot of the hrs have been idling around most likely using electronics to find fish. 

What do you recommend to clean out the fuel system? 

Skipper

Finally got my parts, installed and taken out on the water for a few runs. 

I checked fuel pressure, I am in the high 20's and no bleed down after shutting down. 

Replaced TPS and new one is reading high as well but unable to adjust it cause the old one and the new one are not slotted for adjustment. Also, there is a rubber stop in the linkage which is against the block. Am I missing something???

Replaced stator and bingo! Running at 39v at idle and fires right up. Idles great even when cold (45deg). I need to set the timing but I have to verify TDC first, set my pointer and then see where Im at under load per Evinrude service manual. 

Thanks Bluewaterbill! I apreciate your help and knowledge. This is my first Evinrude and a bit hesitant cause some negative feed back for some friends who heard some stories. I think a lot of people dont understand them. I can honestly say I'll buy another which Im in the market for a 2nd boat in the spring. I've owned a lot of outboards thru the years and have been pleased with Johnsons, Merc's, and Suzuki's. I now can add Evinrude to the list as well. 

Bluewaterbill, do I adjust TPS by turning those star wheels??? Or, am I not seeing something in the linkage??? Or, does it even matter seeing as thou the EMM resets it self to 0% position? 

Admiral

If needed you can adjust the idle TPS reading lower by reshaping or shortening the idle stop to allow the lever to move farther back

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.