Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Mate

06 60 Etec with system check and short in Tach wire

I have a 2006 60hp etec with system check.  I have an irritating short in the tachometer wire that has system check.  If I reach under the console and move the wire bundle attached to the Tachometer so it makes contact , and hold it , it seems fine.  If I let go it will connect and disconnect on and off ...   My question is is it worth my time to try to repair the deutsch connector / end of wiring harness near the tachgometer or am I better off  just putting in a new wiring harness?  

2006 60 Etec with jet drive
2008 115 etec
Admiral

Re: 06 60 Etec with system check and short in Tach wire

The Deutsch connector is pretty easy to repair and all the parts are available at your dealer. Illustrated step by step procedures are in the factory service manual or in online videos.

Inspect everything thoroughly first, it could be as easy as the connector not being fully seated into the back of the gauge.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.