Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Skipper

08 E-Tec Starting issues

I have a 2008 e-tec 115.  This weekend I put the boat in the water and was just  idling when my motor stopped but my starter began to try starting and wouldn't stop.  When the key is either in the ON position or the START position the starter keeps trying to start the engine.  I can remove the key and it kills it.   I can have it in neutrel, forward, or reverse and it will still try starting.  I can have the emergency kill switch disconnected and it will still try to start.  I completely charged my battery thinking it was faulty since when this issue happened, I couldn't turn on any of my accessories.  Would a bad solonoid or a keyswitch cause this issue or is there something more serious going on.  

I have owned this motor for a year and half and over $3,000 in repairs later I'm starting to think these motors are not what they were expected to be.  Replaced 3 fuel injectors already and had to have a new piston/rod and bearings installed around 350 hours.  Dealership says they don't what caused it.  

Any advise?  Thanks in advance.

Admiral

Re: 08 E-Tec Starting issues

If the motor cranks over when the key is in the ON position, either the key switch is faulty or there is a short between a 12V wire and the yellow-red wire. Because you say it cranks over in or out of gear, either your neutral safety switch is shorted or bypassed  or the short is somewhere between the neutral switch and the starter solenoid.

A sticking starter solenoid could also stay on and crank the motor over.

The "kill switch' has nothing to do with the cranking of the motor.

See your dealer for the diagnosis and repair. Until then either disconnect the battery or turn the battery switch to OFF.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Captain

Had a similar problem on my 115. Thought it was the ignition switch but It was the wiring harness - which was replaced.

Al
E_TEC 115hp
Serial No 05333751
Model E115DPLIN
Skipper

I replaced the starter solenoid and still having the same issue.  I'm thinking the key switch will be the next thing I try replacing.  I have a BRP side mount control box.  When replacing the key switch, does the whole control box need replaced or can I simply take out the key switch and put in a new one?  

Thanks.

Admiral

@legendss115etec wrote:

When replacing the key switch, does the whole control box need replaced or can I simply take out the key switch and put in a new one?  

Thanks.

take the old one out and put the new one in. Don't forget to disconnect the battery first.

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Skipper

I recieved my new keyswitch and replaced it.  It is still trying to start with key in the ON position.  What is weird, I noticed that the 4 lights on the dash that run the system self check are not even working.  I'm thinking it may be over my head at this point unless I change out the wiring harness.  Not really wanting to spend a few hundred dollars on that at the moment.  Any other simple things I could check myself?  I'm really not hoping it is the EMM.

Thanks.

Highlighted
Captain

I would look for a short in the wiring. Look at any place the harness passes through a fixed location on the boat. Use a meter and check continuity at the switch plug. Isolate what wires are shorted and trace them until you find where they are touching.
Skipper

Update on issue.  I replaced starter solenoid, battery, keyswitch and checked all wires on wiring harness that runs back to the motor.  All wires seem to be in good shape and cannot see any nicks, scratches, breaks or loose connections.  

After replacing these parts although, I am noticing a difference than before.  With the key in the ON position, it is making a constant ticking noise somewhere other than the starter solenoid.  Almost sounds like it is behind it but not coming from starer itself.  (starter never engauges when key is in the ON or START postition).  Also with the key in the ON postion, my four self check lights on my rpm guage run through there test like normal but I noticed my tach for the RPM's is around 2000 RPM's and jumping very sporaticly.  This whole time the constant ticking noise is coming from the motor.  I did look at the lights on the EMM with the key in the ON position and the only light I see on is the Lanyard/Okay light.  I'm at a loss now and thinking it most likely needs a computer hooked to it to see about any errors.  

Skipper

Just for fun I unhooked my accessories, radio etc...  The only thing that is happening now is the starter is sticking open with key out of the ignition.  Done messing with it.  Definitly something electrical and above me at this point.  

Admiral

Let us know what a tech finds out about your starting issues.