Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Mate
Accepted Solution

'09 250 Etec HO shutting down

The engine had a new '11 powerhead and a new .54 lower unit put on it last February under warranty.  The warranty ends July 2012.  I've had this problem the last 6 outings.  When I run at WOT for 12-15 mins the engine starts losing power and shutting down.  It doesn't go all the way down but for the next 5 mins or so it has reduced power.  The rpms go from 5800 to about 4200.  The water pressure used to be at 37 and now when I get about 17 psi.  Speed drops from 74 to 45.  After a few minutes the rpm will go back to 5300 (guage) but my speed returns to normal, about 74.  If I back off of it when it first starts losing power it appears ok and I can run fine at speed around 65.  I have had it checked out by Evinrude tech and he says it doesn't show any record of losing power or misbehaving!   I'm very concerned about the water pressure situation.  He has asked me to take him out on the lake and have his computer hooled to the engine for diagnositics.  Do yo uknow of what might be going wrong?

Skipper

Re: '09 250 Etec HO shutting down

I would follow his instructions to use the diagnostic software while the motor is running on the lake.

Admiral

[ Edited ]

Tritonator,

This is a duplicate post that is already answered in the " PERFORMANCE  - Evnrude E-TEC " section.

http://community.evinrude.com/t5/Evinrude-E-TEC/09-250-Etec-HO-shutting-down/td-p/728

Please delete this post and refer to the other one. Thank you.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Skipper

Tritonator,

You previously created a thread located in the Evinrude E-TEC section which is the correct location regarding your E-TEC engine. Please refer to the following thread if you have more comments or questions: Link to Thread

Thanks! Smiley Happy

The views expressed in this message are in no way the official views of Evinrude and are of a personal nature.