Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Skipper

'09 Etec 200 HO hot alarm when idling

IMG_1250.jpg

This issue came up last year a few times.  I had a fuel pump go out and took it in for repair.  I had them pull the codes and print them out for me.  

This year I have replaced the water pump and thermostats.  The hot alarm stayed off for a few trips but has returned again.  Any thoughts on what is going on here?  

Skipper

Re: '09 Etec 200 HO hot alarm when idling

IMG_1253.jpg

Skipper

IMG_1255.jpg

Skipper

IMG_1257.jpg

Skipper

Hi, I'm going to follow your post with a close eye.  I just had a "Hot" alarm issue myself for the first on my 2007 225 Etec.  Ran out to fishing spot, not problem.  Idled around, moved several times fine.  On the run back in about 4100 rpm, 30 mph all the sudden get a HOT alarm and engine seems to go into limp mode.  No oil pressure alarm, but the pressure only reading between 5 and 10 psi.  Temp on the gauge reading only 125-150 f.  Engine would only limp in.  

Skipper

Mine only happens at idle. around 1200 rpm as I make my way through no wake zones. Or idle to graph an fishing spot.
Skipper

Changed the pressure relief valve.  Idled for 20 min.  Hot alarm went off.  Shut the engine down. Waited a min.  Idled for 4-5 min and hot alarm went off.  

Admiral

[ Edited ]

The pressure relief valve does not affect idle overheating. Engine overheating at idle is caused by inadequate cooling water flow and faulty thermostat operation.   An EMM can also trigger an overheat warning but that normally occurs at a higher rpm.

Make sure the motor has at least 3-6 psi water pressure at idle and that the thermostats are operational at 145°.

You cannot troubleshoot a cooling system problem while running the motor on a garden hose. The motor has to be in the water at a sufficient depth (at or above the water pump)

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Skipper

I replaced the Thermostats and the water pump. My analog gauge shows 9 psi @ 1200 rpm. Still getting the hot light and alarm.

All my testing is done on the water.
Admiral

[ Edited ]

3-5 psi is normal idle water pressure.   What does yours read at idle in gear?

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.