Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Skipper

115 E-TEC

Have a 2011 115 on a 18.5ft Bay Craft flats boat.  The engine has performed flawless since I got it and the boat would top out at 48mph @5300rpm.  I winterized the boat about mid July because it was going to be out of sevice for 5 months and I really wanted to try the layup procedure.  Everything worked great and it started right up when I put it back in service.  The engine seems to perform well in all resoects except at full throttle.  I have lost about 700rpm wide open.  The low end performance and cruise seem to be fine and I don't notice anything unusual about how it sounds.  Was wondering if there is anything that I should check before calling the dealer.  It has about 100hr and other then this I have been extremly happy.

Admiral

Re: 115 E-TEC

Your motor has a variable exhaust tuning valve in the midsection and it could be stuck and not moving to the high speed position. Have the dealer check the engine out for you.

What concerns me is your propeller if you only got 5300 rpm in the past at full speed. Your motor requires a 5500 to 6000 rpm range for full throttle with a normal load aboard. Ideally around 5600-5800 rpm is optimum for all around performance according to Evinrude. Talk to your dealer about swapping props to get the rpm in the proper range after the motor is checked out and running well.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Skipper

Thanks for the info.  Was already going to check on a new prop to get the RPM up.  Will make an appointment with my local guy next week.  Merry Christmas.

Skipper

Bill, had the boat to a dealer and the engine checks out fine.  Exhaust valve working, fuel good, all systems OK.  I was able to get the RPM back up to 5300 after I got it back.  I guess I didn't trim out the engine as much as needed.  After running it again it seems like I have to trim the engine way out to get the RPM up.  I am in the process of raising the engine as it seems it may be to low.  The current prop is a Power Tech OTS3  19 X 14.  Any suggestions on a new prop if the RPM still won't get to 5800?

Chet

Admiral

Glad to hear that you are getting some rpm back and that the motor is OK.

Be sure to experiment with engine mounting height and propeller pitch to get near the 5800 rpm range for your motor.

Try a 17" propeller as that is what most 115's run and raise the motor up so the anti-ventilation plate is visible above the water while running on plane. When your rig is dialed in, you will notice better acceleration and engine running when set to factory recommended specs.

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Skipper

Thanks for the help Bill.  Will let you know how I make out.

Skipper

Bill, what would be the difference between a 3 blade or a 4 blade prop?

Admiral

The 4 blade often helps acceleration and holding ability in rough water. They often help raise a heavy stern compared to a high-rake performance 3 blade what raises the bow.

Flats boats benefit with 4 blades as they can accelerate quickly to get on plane in shallow water.

Skipper

Bill, trying to find a lifting ring so I can remount the engine to a higher position and can't find one.  Have looked at the Evinrude site and can't find it there and the ones I have found other places don't seem to fit.  I have the ability to lift the engine if I can find the correct tool.  If I do it myself I can change the hole and then sea trial the boat and readjust if I have to so I can get it done in one day instead of having to bring it back and forth to the dealer if it's still not right.  How is the motor lifted, where do you lift it from and where can I get the correct tool?