Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Highlighted
Skipper
Accepted Solution

115 Evinrude wiring query

Help 115hp wiring
The tag on motor was wore out thus no model number or serial number to be had. Was told earlier here that because I had a red plug that it was thought to be a 1995 motor. The silver plug on motor showed numbers G04249107. BluewaterBill was kind enough to help. His Quote: "That older database is not accessible at this time but your 115 is definitely a 1995 if it has a red plug. Use model number E115SXEOC if you are sure it is a 25" shaft. " End Quote
But now while switching motor from old boat to mine I ran into this wiring harness. Looks like a RED PLUG was spliced into the harness coming from motor to be used with older red plug control unit. As in not original. ( he used to have a 1985 Evinrude motor he blew up and then bought this newer Evinrude 115. ) I can not ask him as I bought it from his estate. So it was working great as is on his boat but without Tach or Trim guage.
I would like to figuire out number one the true age of this motor as BlurewaterBill earlier said ( If yours does not have a round red plug but 3 plastic connectors, 2 rectangular 6-pin connectors and one triangular 3-pin connector, it is a 1996 or later. ) So now I am wondering what I have for model year?? All I know about it is that it has a 25inch leg.
OR if someone can help by telling me what wires I can use coming from motor to hook up Tach and Trim guages. In the picture I show on the right what is from old boat and on left from newer motor. The one plug in center I have hooked up but left the red plugs unhooked. The 2 bare wires with eyes are a black with white/brown strip.
Am retired and motor works fine. Just would like to know proper Model number and what wires to use for a Tach and Trim guage.

Thanks in advance

Ken20200725_121207_resized.jpg

Highlighted
Captain

Re: 115 Evinrude wiring query

Tach - grey wire is tach signal
Trim gauge - white wire with tan stripe.
Both gauges use the purple (key on power) and the black (ground) wires.
Highlighted
Skipper

Rickmcd53 thankyou.

Last question and then I will try and hook up. The larger plug on left has a Purple Black and Grey wire beside each other.  Am I to splice into those to get the Tach working?  And the smaller plug on right has just a purple wire and a white wire with a blue stripe. Do you know what that plug is for?  Other than that I will use the 2 wires with eyes in previous post for the trim. 

Appreciate the help and am just praying to get all working before you shut down site. 20200726_100702_resized.jpg

Highlighted
Admiral

MWS Harness and Dash connections.JPG

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Highlighted
Skipper

Thnkyou and sorry to see site shut down.