Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Mate

115 etec problems

Hi, I bought my Etec 115 3yrs ago through an official dealer in Hvaler/Norway, and I have experienced several issues that concern me. I only use my boat during the summer vacation, I pay for winter storage and motor service each year and expect the motor to work properly during the 100 hours I use it each year. I am not a tech guy, and have to rely on the work that my dealer do. This year I haveecperienced 3 problems, 2 of them are critical:

1. I got a message on my Garmin display that I had a critical error and that the motor was running on reduced effect. I checked the oil level which was ok, let the motor rest for a couple of minutes and started again. This happened 4 times during one trip, very annoying.

2. Trim problems. The motor would not tilt - which is critical where I ride my boat. I called the mechanics, I removed the relais connection which should solve the problem and that worked for 1 day. Now the tilt is working from time to time, extremely frustrating.

3. Excesdive smoke from the motor. There is lot of smoke from the 115 etec. I took a video and sent to the dealer, and they responded that one should expect some smoke early in the season after the winter service. I have used the motor for several weeks, the smoke level is still the same, And I find it hard to believe that this is normal.

4. Oil consumption. When I bought the motor in 2016 I was told that I should not expect to refill oil frequently. This has not been the case, and different people at the vendor give me different answrs/advice which confuses and frustrates me. What is your advice egen it comes to oil refill procedures and type of oil?
Admiral

Re: 115 etec problems

We are sorry to hear about the experiences you are having with the Evinrude E-TEC 115 HP.  Your dealer should be able to take care of the issues that you described to us. If not, please contact brp.care@brp.com and include the dealer name and the engine serial number.

If what you call smoke is white or light gray colored, that is normal steam coming out of the exhaust relief due to the cooling water being sprayed into the hot exhaust section of the motor. You will see it in greater quantities when slowing down from being on plane.   If the smoke is dark blue or black, then the engine has an internal problem and needs to be inspected.

Oil consumption varies with the load and rpm on the motor. More oil is used when the engine is accelerated quickly and initially when starting up.  Fill the fuel tank to the top and the oil tank to the top and run the boat until the LOW OIL alarm comes on.  Keep records of the fuel used and measure the oil needed to fill the tank, then do the math.  Be sure your motor is propped correctly where it can turn between 5600 and 6000 rpm at full throttle with a normal load of passengers, fuel, and gear on board. If the rpm is less, you may be lugging the motor and requiring more oil consumption.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Highlighted
Mate

Re: 115 etec problems

Thank you for your swift response. The smoke is light grey, so that seems ok according to your comment. Did you have any suggested oil characteristics? I will try to get my dealer to check the other issues unless there are easy actions I can do myself