Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Skipper

135 HO Overheat alarm

[ Edited ]

I have a new 135 HO that is giving me an overheat alarm.  Engine has 28 hrs on it, large water pick-ups and pressure guage shows 20-25 psi, even when alarm sounds.  There is some water coming out of the pee hole, but I am not sure if the volume of water is as high as it was.  It never has peed as stong at my 90 hp Johnson 2-stroke.  Only overheats when running at moderate speed-3500-4000 rpm-not sure about faster.  Lowering jack plate makes no difference.  The only thing I have done is go from 3-blade to 4-blade prop.  Engine will run 42 mph at 5600 rpm.  I have removed both t-stats and they are clean and have checked wiring to both temp sensors.  Both sensors were loose and I have not run motor since I tightened them.  I was able to tighten one of them more than one turn. I will check code tomorrow. I read in the manual that the t-stats only control temp up to 2500 rpm.  At higher speeds, the pressure relief valve opens and the water bypasses the t-stats.  I have never had a pressure relief valve apart but it looks like this might be the culprit.  I know this would be covered under warranty, but would rather be using the boat than let it sit at the dealer.

Model# E135HSLABB

Ser# 5411002

Admiral

Re: 135 HO Overheat alarm

[ Edited ]

As long as the pressure relief valve is not plugged up with sand or mud, a malfunction would be a warranty related repair.

Because the sensors were disturbed and require a procedure for installation and tightening, see a dealer to have them checked out and to determine the cause of overheating.

You posted a similar question in the EVINRUDE PROS forum. Refer to my answer there.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Skipper

43 | 6 | 26:41 | 29:10 | Engine temp above expected range - port or single
RPM=3753; TPS=31%; BaroPres=30.12"/hg; AirTemp=127.4°F; PortTemp=194.0°F; StbdTemp=177.8°F;
EmmTemp=145.4°F; ExhstPres=-12.05"/H²O; WtrPres=0psi; SysVolts=55V; BattVolts=14V

This is what diagnostics shows.  On all 6 occurances, water pressure shows 0 psi, yet my pressure guage never waivered from 20-25 psi.

I took the pressure valve apart and it is clean.  I checked resistance of temp sensors and they are both 10.5k ohms at ambient temp.

I did not see anything in the manual about anything needing to be done if temp sensors were tightened.

Admiral

If you do not have the optional digital water pressure sensor installed and programmed by a dealer, the readout report will show " 0 " psi.

for the temp sensor:

Installation

Fill bottom of sensor cavity with 0.7 cc of Thermal

Joint Compound, P/N 322170. Sensor cavity

should be filled to 1 inch (25 mm) below the top

edge of the cavity.

Install sensor. DO NOT use gasket sealing compound.

SLOWLY tighten temperature sensor to a

torque of 50 to 70 in. lbs. (5.6 to 8.0 N·m).

Wait 10 minutes for trapped air to bleed from cavity.

Thermal compound may seep past threads.

Retighten sensor.

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Skipper

I solved the overheat alarm.  I checked the cyl head temp with infared temp gun and motor was not overheating.  I previously installed larger water pickups and had installed on wrong side.  Switched them and all is OK.

Admiral

Glad you found the culprit. Sometimes the most aggravating problems have the easiest fixes - it's just finding the correct solution that takes the time.

Skipper

The overheat alarm has come back, but this time it always shows on port side. It did it 6 times earlier in the week. On Thursday, I swapped temp sensors side to side. Yesterday, I got 2 overheat alarms and they were both for starboard side.  This would seem to indicate a bad temp sensor. Would you agree?

Admiral

[ Edited ]

From your description, it seems that your overheat warning follows the port sensor.

What temperature is the engine running at when the suspect temp sensor sets the alarm?

Skipper

During the most recent fault (after swapping the sensors side to side) the port temp was 183.2 and the

stbd temp was 194.0. Before the swap, the temps were the exact opposite. 

Admiral

Appears to be the sensor out of spec.