Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Skipper

Re: 135 HO Overheat alarm

I have the exact same motor brand new on my ranger 1780 vs and just going from the launch to the dock first time out on the water i got a hot temp alarm i was going between 2000-3000 rpm called the dealer he figured it was a sensor told me to still use the boat but take it easy so i did and then brought it back to the dealer for him to check too see if it was the sensor he said sensor was good and installed larger water intakes so ill give it a go this weekend and see how it pans out

Skipper

Just wondering if you've cleared up the issue? And what exactly it was?
Skipper

Took the boat out yesterday had and HOT alarm sound and then shortly after i had a NO OIL alarm go off resevior is full as the boat hasnt ran for more then 20 minutes. ruined another weekend at the lake back in the city to take the boat in to get it fixed i hope because they didnt do much for me last time

Admiral

[ Edited ]

@SickSpence wrote:

Took the boat out yesterday had and HOT alarm sound and then shortly after i had a NO OIL alarm go off resevior is full as the boat hasnt ran for more then 20 minutes. ruined another weekend at the lake back in the city to take the boat in to get it fixed i hope because they didnt do much for me last time

The nice thing about this forum is that you only have to make a comment or ask a question one time  in the appropriate section.  Unlike some other websites multiple posts are not needed  here at E-NATION.

I'm sorry to hear of the problems with your dealer and not having the motor work as you anticipated. That is not a normal occurance.

Please email brp.care@brp.com with the engine's serial number, dealer name, and a brief history of your experiences. We will look into this for you.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Skipper

Thanks Bill im new to E Nation and to owning a boat

Admiral

[ Edited ]

@SickSpence wrote:

Try this to possibly save your holiday weekend.  Hold the primer bulb from the oil tank with its arrow facing up and give it a hard squeeze for a few seconds, then start the motor and perform the winterizing procedure. Refer to your owners manual.  That may dislodge a trapped air bubble that may be causing a false NO OIL alarm. You will get some temporary smoke from the motor after doing this. If the NO OIL alarm does not come back, then you can try the following suggestion.

Run the motor either slower than 2000 rpm or faster than 3000 rpm to see if it still overheats. If so, it has to go back to the dealer as soon as you can. It is possible that a combination of the hull design, transducers or fittings mounted too close to the motor, and aerated water flow could cause the overheating in the 2000 to 3000 rpm range because the boat is not up on plane yet. If it operates normally outside of that rpm range, you may still be able to enjoy the holiday weekend before taking the boat in to the dealer.

In a previous post you mentioned  that you are a new boat owner. If you do not have much experience running a boat, it is advisable to take an experienced person with you for tips and guidance, especially on this crowded holiday weekend. If possible, please take a Coast Guard or a Power Squadron Safe Boating Course soon. It may also save you money on your boat insurance, give you more confidence, and enhance on-water safety for you and your loved ones along with the boaters around you.

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Skipper

Thanks for the suggestions,  if any issues arise after the boat gets back to me after its done in the shop its been there for a few days now. I will try the procedures you have suggested i do have a lowrance hook5 fish finder mounted but the transducer is quite small maybe the size of a hockey puck. and its mounted below the ladder to the right of the motor. I looked on Rangers Aluminum series website and it says engine leg legnth is 25" but evinrude 135 leg length is 20"

Skipper

Ive owned boats before and taken my Personal Water Craft course but ive never owned a boat of this size or a motor of this HP/ technology
Admiral

@SickSpence wrote:

... the transducer is quite small maybe the size of a hockey puck. and its mounted below the ladder to the right of the motor.

I looked on Rangers Aluminum series website and it says engine leg legnth is 25" but evinrude 135 leg length is 20"

Is the transducer at least 17" away from the center of the engine?

Where is the anti-ventilation plate in relation to the bottom of the hull? 

Is it 5"  or more above the bottom?

Skipper

Yes the transducer is at least 17" away i just talked to the owner from where i purchased the boat they had worked on it today and they said that they probably didnt prime the oil system properly before giving me the boat so that would explain the NO OIL issue i asked about the anti ventilation plate and he said its where it should be but also when they ran the engine in the tank at their shop they were able to replicate the overheat alarm in the tank and he also contacted the ranger dealer so hes fairly certain that it isnt the height of the transom or the depth of the hull. I believe he is in contact with Evinrude to trouble shoot the issue further i am back to work tomorrow for 5 days so im hoping i can take the boat out next week and see if all is well. Is there ever dud motors or is it probably something minor that i shoulndt have to worry about effecting the enging later on in its lifetime.