Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Highlighted
Captain
Accepted Solution

135HO 14 hours fuel problem!!!

I purchased a 2015 2000 Bluewave Purebay back in late January. Motor has 14 hours and I just took it to the dealer for a second time while I am on vacation!!!!! GRRRRRR! It would not crank twice on two different trips after leaving it off for a while and fishing. I am pretty sure it is a fuel pump or fuel line issue. The last time I took it in, they just hooked up a computer and said it was problem free. That is all they did. When I brought it back this morning, I said if I go out in the gulf and this happens, I will be PO'D and want to take someones head off. He replied well bring plenty of food in case that happens the first time I brought it in. This is my first ETEC and now I am already getting a bad taste in my mouth. I told him I want him to do more than hook up a stupid computer and to fix it and fix it right. It turned over, wasn't a voltage issue or nuetral postion issue. I primed the bulb and it seemed to not be full of fuel and then once hard to pump, it cranked. Does this seem like a fuel pump, or line issue. This is why I bought brand new, my last engine on my old boat was a Suzuki and problem free. Please email me if you can help. I amd spending my vacation boatless. 

Highlighted
Admiral

Re: 135HO 14 hours fuel problem!!!

The engine computer (EMM)  is not a know-it-all. A technician still has to troubleshoot the boat's and the engine's systems to find a problem.

Ask your dealer to run a fuel vacuum test, air in fuel test, and fuel pressure tests and to take the boat for a test run. The dealer could also contact Evinrude Dealer Support for assistance if needed. A lack of fuel problem such as what you described could be any number of small items or conditions.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Highlighted
Captain

I was expecting him to do that the first time when I explained what went wrong, so lazy dealer I guess! As you can tell I was not happy when I brought it back to them. 

Highlighted
Skipper

I hear your frustration. But it very well could be a boat problem, not even related to the engine. I've seen a bad primer bulb cause major issues.  That 60 degree platform is pretty bullet proof. We have some harbor patrol boats with 150's that have 5 to 6 thousand hours with no major issues. Let us know what they find, it could help someone else down the road.

Highlighted
Admiral

[ Edited ]

HOBIE is correct. 

Most of the time on a new boat when there is a fuel delivery problem, the fault is in the boat's plumbing or from improper rigging. Very rarely is it an engine related problem.

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Highlighted
Captain

He did state it could be something to do with the fuel tank even, or fuel line or fuel pump. It's a 2015 2000 Purebay but it did set on the lot for close to a year, and I was told they didn't even rig the engine that it came rigged from the guys at Bluewave. As I said I primed the bulb as it was not full of fuel. My understanding is the pure bays are excellent boats and I do love the boat. The boat has been at the dealer since Thursday 3/17/2016. I hate waiting when I bought a brand new boat to steer clear of used boat issues. I will let you guys know. Thank you!
Highlighted
Captain

I didn't know if I checked the box it would say solved. Not solved yet. Sorry
Highlighted
Captain

Got boat back today. Service tech changed the cam position sensor or whatever it's called. He basically said he didn't have a smoking gun. They took the boat out and ran it for 5 miles and tried to replicate the problem after the sensor was changed. I however still doubt it was fixed. Please uncheck solved until I take the boat out hopefully this weekend. If it happens to me again I will disclose the service techs name and the dealer he works for. If the problem does turned out to be resolved then I'll leave it at that.
Highlighted
Captain

They changed the crank position sensor and said it was good. I took it out yesterday and running full Rpms it started bogging down but never died. So I'm 100% sure it's a fuel delivery problem, nothing to do with the engine, as an alarm never came on. Service tech never did a vacuum test or anything on the fuel delivery system. I'm mad!
Highlighted
Admiral

Sounds like it is time for a sit-down and a factual discussion with the owner, tech, and service manager.  Contact Evinrude After Sales Support also.