Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Mate

150 xp stuck piston

Hello and thanks in advance for any insight provided.  My son purchased a beautiful Stratos bass boat with a 1989 Evinrude 150 xp yesterday.  We immediately took it to the local lake and stuck a piston.  We let it warm up for about 5 minutes, went about 200 yards at no wake speed and then opened it up.  He then throttled back to about 4000 rpm and after a few seconds it went boom.  Went to shore using trolling motor and when we got home found that 1 piston does not move when flywheel is turned (thinking we tore wrist pin out or broke the rod).  When we looked at pistons, I noticied that they were flat top.  Shouldnt a 89 150 have a ridge on them, I thought the looper 150's were introduced in 1992?  He called the seller to ask if he had any issues previously and he immediatly said bring it back and I'll give money back.  He apperently knew there was an issue of some sort and we may have gotten very lucky.  We are really disapointed because this bost is literaly showroom condition.

Any information on whether this should be a looper or a cross flow motor would be greatly appreciated.  Serial number is E150STLCEM   When I look up parts for engine it shows cross flow pistons.  I'm wondering if someone performed a switcharoo on the engine plate and cowl.  I did not check the disk on head yet.

Thank you

Admiral

Re: 150 xp stuck piston

The 150 loop-scavenged V6 outboard was first introduced for the 1991 model year.  According to your model number, the engine is a 1989  cross-flow engine that should have deflector-type pistons in it.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Mate

I had my son check the soft plug and he told me the only number on it is R8253266 does this identify the powerhead?  I beleive someone switched them.

Admiral

[ Edited ]

The letter R in the number indicates a replacement powerhead, it is not a serial number that would help us.

Can you post pictures of the powerhead from 4 sides and the decals on the motor cover along with an image of the side of the whole motor?

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Mate

The seller took the boat back without question.  When my son called him and told him it died after a few minutes he said "bring it  back, i'll give you your money back"  Have to admire the guy for that.  When my son took it to him he said he spoke to a local mechanic who said it would be cheaper to repower than rebuild.  My son asked him when he spoke to the guy and he said "yesterday".  This was on Monday and he didn't know it blew until 7 pm Monday night.  I believe he must have taken it to mechanic previously and thought that it may stay together long enough to stick someone with it.  We were upset because the boat was in such great shape, but happy to get the money back.

I'm sure the pistons in the head were flat top and it did not have the "hump back" no idea what size, year, etc was on it.  Funny thing was he gave us a folder an inch thick with all of the service and repairs performed by local marina over it's life.  We were excited that it had "new" lower, VRO, and many other things in last five years.  No mention of a powerhead.

Once again thank you for the guidance.  I plan on making this a regular stop as I am amazed at the knowledge level when I read through the post.

Admiral

Sorry to hear about the engine but  are glad to know that you encountered a stand-up & honest seller.