Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Skipper

1960 40 HP manual calls for OMC type B lower end fluid?

Need some help here guys. I inherited an old boat with a beautiful 1960 40 horse Evinride. I need to change the lower end fluid but the manual calls for OMC type B oil. I have looked everywhere for it and can not seem to find it. Does anyone know where to find type B or what I could use instead? She's a beauty and I wanna keep her running like a top. Thanks for any help.
Admiral

Re: 1960 40 HP manual calls for OMC type B lower end fluid?

[ Edited ]

Yep, many products have been changed or discontinued in 52 years. Just be sure the motor is a 1960 model as some later years starting in 1962 had an electric shifting design that used a different type of gear oil.

For your mechanical shifted motor you can use a number of products for your 1960  40hp depending on what your dealer has on his shelf. The very best performing gear oils are the Evinrude HPF-Pro, then the HPF-XR, then Ultra-Hpf, then Hi-Vis. The last two oils have been discontinued but you may still see them in a dealership.

No matter which lubricant you choose today, it will be much better than the old Type B oil that was around a half-century ago.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Skipper

Thanks a lot Bill! Would you happen to know if I could use a hypoid oil or an OMC type C? I see those two readily available at most places.

Admiral

Type C is the special thinner oil used for electric shift motors. Evinrude does not publish any substitutes for their gear oils. At least use a brand of marine rated lower unit oils in that motor and not an automotive hypoid 90. Of course any Evinrude dealer can help you out with the correct lubricant.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.