Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Highlighted
Skipper

1972 65ESL72S multipart question

Hello everyone,

I am in the process of rebuilding my lower unit, and have finally been able to get past those tough to remove snap rings. I now am left wondering two things. First is the bearing in the oil pump serviceable, or will I be forced to replace the entire pump? Secondly, I am apparently part of the un-lucky group of people who have the long driveshaft part #385093. I have some slight pitting and wear in the area where the bearings ride. Do I spend the rest of my summer trying to source this part or leave this is the one worn part left in my lower unit and accept the bearings will just wear out faster? Thanks for reading my long winded post!

-TJShag13

Highlighted
Admiral

Re: 1972 65ESL72S multipart question

At the top of the page, click on Online Store, then Parts. From there you can look up your motor and what the parts breakdown shows forpart  numbers.

Don't forget that you are dealing with a 39 year old motor. You have to make a choice of how much to spend or what it takes to get it running and what parts to reuse or to replace.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Highlighted
Skipper

Thank you for quick reply. The part number that is stamped into my driveshaft is 385093 which is the long shaft and is no longer available through evinrude. The motor in the 4 years I have owned it has been very reliable and I have no issues with sinking some money into it. I have all new bearings, seals, forward/pinion and reverse gears, prop shaft, shift solenoids and water pump. The last two parts that I am thinking about replacing are the oil pump and this driveshaft, so I would really like to find the part new and not have to worry about it for hopefully another 40 years! Thanks again for taking the time.

-TJShag13

Highlighted
Admiral

For parts watch the Boat Trader, Craig's List, and Ebay. There are many old parts companies online such as SeaWay, Twin City Outboard, and others. Stop by or call dealers and marine repair shops, especially if you are travelling somewhere. You never know what you'll find.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Highlighted
Skipper

Thanks again, I'll check out those places and keep my eyes open for new craigslist/ebay listings.

-TJShag13

Highlighted
Skipper

Hello all,

Just to update this thread, I wanted to say that I was able to get the bearing part number from the oil pump, drive it out and replace that bearing. It seems that this should work just fine! I'm still on the look out for a new old stock drive shaft.

-Tim