Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Skipper

1976 Evinrude 35 vs 2008 Etec 40 - Worth the upgrade?

I have a 16.5' aluminum V-bottom with a gold 1976 bicentennial-year Evinrude 35 on the back.   Motor runs like a top and gets me up to 27 mph when I'm alone.   Is very light on fuel, too.

I have come across a 2008 Etec 40.  It needs some work, (upper engine mount needs to be replaced, and it needs injectors and EMM) but the powerhead itself appears to be in good shape, with exactly 135 psi on both cylinders.

So here are my questions.   Will the 40 Etec...

1.  ...be noticeably faster than the older 35?

2.  ...be noticeably quieter than the older 35?

3.  ...be noticeably more fuel efficient than the older 35, despite being considerably larger and heavier?

4.  ...be as reliable as the older 35?

Just trying to determine if this would be worth the effort to fix up, and then re-rig the boat.  I would like to see 30+ mph, though.   I have some long runs, where I fish.

Very interested in all opinions or feedback.   Feel free to ramble.  The more thoughts I get, the better.

Thanks in advance.

Highlighted
Admiral

Re: 1976 Evinrude 35 vs 2008 Etec 40 - Worth the upgrade?

You can check all the boxes comparing your old 35 to an E-TEC 40 hp.

The original 35 was produced from 1957 through 1957, In 1978 a redesigned 35 HP was introduced.

A good-running E-TEC 40 will be much quieter, smoother running, use less fuel and oil, be smoke-free, instant starting, and the power and acceleration compared to your older 35 hp will be unbelievable.

It would be advisable to talk to a trained E-TEC technician first to evaluate the motor and give you a rough estimate of what is needed.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Skipper

Bill.

Thanks for the reply.  It sounds to me like I want this motor on my boat.   

I called my local Evinrude dealership, and told hime what I had, and he told me I would probably be best to replace the upper mount myself, if I felt capable, and they would be there if I couldn't get it done.  They are heavily backlogged, and it will be awhile before they could get to something like that.

I ordered and received the used upper motor mount already, but am still waiting for the base gasket.   But one thing I don't have is a manual for this specific motor.   If I'm going to keep this motor, I definitely want one of those.  They sell them here, correct?  I tried to look under "Other Evinrude products," but it gave me an "oops" message.  I'm sure I can find one online but just trying to be supportive of this helpful site.

I will definitely post updates on my progress.

Thanks again.

Admiral

[ Edited ]

A copy of the factory service manual can be obtained through www.outboardbooks.com . You should order using the engine model number to be sure of receiving the correct one.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Skipper

Etec 40 weight! - Worth the upgrade?

[ Edited ]

Received my factory service manual, and it's nice.    Have been reading it over, and enjoying the learning process.

But I read that the 40 Etec weighs over double what my 35 HP weighs, 240 lbs versus 115 lbs.   The same as putting a carbed Evinrude 70 on the back of this boat!  That's a huge jump in weight.

Here is my boat...   https://www.princecraft.com/us/en/products/Fishing-Boats/2019/Utilities/Starfish-16-L.aspx

What happened to Etecs being lightweight, similar to 2-strokes of old???  I'm wondering if this won't put my drain holes below the water.  Does anyone here have a Princecraft with an Etec on the back?

I'm now questioning the wisdom of making this switch.

Last year, on my bigger boat, (rated for 200 HP back in 1994) I went from an Evinrude 115 to a Ficht 150, which is also very heavy for it's HP rating.    The weight difference made the boat stern heavy.  I must now use trim tabs constantly, the fuel savings are marginal, if any, and although the holeshot is crazy, I only gained 3 MPH at top end speed.    So basically, the extra HP has been absorbed by the weight gain. Obviously, I'm not very happy with the "upgrade." Am even thinking of going back to a 115.

I don't want to repeat the same mistake with my little boat, too.  

Does anyone here have a similar 16' x 6' aluminum boat with a 40-60 Etec on the back?    Thanks.

Skipper

I did some research, and it seems that my hull is not suited to maximize the potential of the 40.  Others with similar engines report that they are now back-heavy, and they are not getting the speed expected.

I have been encouraged to look for a 30 or 35 etec, as the smaller size balances well with the boat and gives almost the same top speed.

So if anyone is looking to upgrade from a 30 to a 40, please let me know!   I'd be interested in trading.

Thanks.