Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Skipper

1984 115hp Evinrude wont shut off.

The engine wont shut off but runs great.  I have replaced the ignition key, I've traced the black w/yellow stripe wire from the key to the ignition box. I plugged and unplugged the wire at the ignition box but it did not change the condition. Also the wire is a ground. Is that correct? Or should it have voltage? Can any one help me? Thanks

Admiral

Re: 1984 115hp Evinrude wont shut off.

The motor turns off when the keyswitch grounds out the black-yellow CDI wire to the black ground wire. If there is an open circuit anywhere in the black-yellow wire or inside the power pack, the motor will not shut off. Check the connector terminals carefully.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Skipper

I cut the connector off at the CDI box on the black/yellow wire and put directly to ground with no results. Should I look into buying a new CDI box? Thanks

Admiral

[ Edited ]

If by grounding out the black-yellow wire on each power pack at the same time and the motor continued to run, then one or both of the packs are faulty internally and would have to be replaced. There are isolation diodes inside the packs to keep one "kill wire" from affecting the other pack so if one or both packs have open diodes, then the motor will not shut off if it continues to run on the other 2 cylinders.

If you are only grounding one powerpack, the engine may continue to on the 2 cylinders that are operating on the opposite pack. Both packs have to be grounded at the black-yellow wire for the motor to quit.

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Highlighted
Skipper

Thanks BluewaterBill. You are the man!!

Skipper

I ran into more issues when you said I should have 2 CDI box. It only has one. For some reason it has two more coil wires that are caped off like someone got it from a V6. Is there some V4 models that only have one CDI bow? I do know that there is not any more wire harness coming out of the magneto area for more CDI box. The model # on the engine mount at the transom is E115TLCRD. Is there any other ID tags on the power head to see if they match. Thanks

Admiral

The parts book shows that your model number engine has dual power packs. Your engine may be the result of someone's mixing and matching of other components to jury-rig an ignition system, especially since extra wires are taped off.

Mate

i have a 1989 evinrude 200hp vro and it will not shut off with key until i push and hold the choke.  How would i diagnose this problem.  

Admiral

On that motor it was common to find the black/yellow wires from the Power Pack to be broken inside the connectors or the pins and sockets broken.   The black/yellow wires have to be grounded to shut the motor off.

Mate

Having same problem, is there a way to know which pwr pack is bad and not grounding circuit