Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Highlighted
Skipper

1984 115hp wont idle in the water but will on the water hose.

A few weeks ago I removed the foot-gear case to work on the tilt- trim and it has not idled right sense. I rebuilt the carbs and that did not help. Then I checked the compression. The psi readings were 110,105,120 and 95. Would that keep it from idling in the water? Also I noticed the exhaust tube gaskets and water pickup tube grommet were not in good shape.

Highlighted
Admiral

Re: 1984 115hp wont idle in the water but will on the water hose.

[ Edited ]

On a motor that old it is probably a number of things in combination that are affecting the idle. If you are running the motor on a hose flusher it will not idle as well as when in the water. In your case it is the opposite and that may mean cylinder problems or very rich running from a leaking primer, flooding carb, or pinhole in the fuel pump diaphragm. Your biggest problem is the compression. There is 25# difference between the highest and the lowest readings and as a rule of thumb, there should be 15# max. difference between the cylinders.

You might try a can or two of Evinrude Engine Tuner to decarbon the motor and to possibly help free up any carbon stuck rings. Do this in 2 different procedures for best results, then after running the motor to clean it out, recheck the compression to see if they are closer. If not, you may have to pull a cylinder head and an intake cover to check for piston scoring or cylinder damage.

Inspect the red primer lever on your motor for leakage when activated. Make sure the lever pointer is facing down the length of the black solenoid. In other words, have it turned fully clockwise until it stops, because if it is open, the motor will run rich and idle poorly. Also make sure each primer hoses and recirculation hoses  are attached and not split or rotten.

The cylinder head temps are important for a good idle (about 140°) as are the linkage and carburetor synchronization. Make sure the throttle plates are completely closed and the pickup point timing is correct.

Good luck, be patient, and use a factory service manual to make sure everything is in good shape and correctly adjusted.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Highlighted
Skipper

thanks for the info. I have my work cut out for me.

Highlighted
Skipper

Hey Bluewater, I got it fixed by buying a newer engine. A 1996 Johnson 112hp with low hours. It worked great. All of the wire harness matched right up. Thanks for all of the help!

Highlighted
Admiral

Congratulations !

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Highlighted
Mate

I have the same problem and its a 78 motor 115hp.im going to try what you suggested.i hope its something simple
Highlighted
Admiral

It may be best to obtain a factory service manual for your motor.

www.outboardbooks.com