Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Skipper

1984 Evinrude 150xp - Runs well on Muffs...but not on the Lake.

I was given an '84 Charger 17' bass boat last year with an Evinrude 150xp VRO on it. 

I did a google search with a question about the motor running well on muffs but not in the water and I came across a similar question answered a few years back by bluewaterbill. So I'm wondering if anyone can help me...I've been working on this motor for some time now. I've done all the regular tune up stuff. New plugs, vro oil, fuel lines, etc, etc. I bought the OMC shop manual and used the instructions and checked the compression...all are good and even. 

SO the engine runs well on muffs in my driveway. It idles well, shifts well and goes WOT no problem. But it doesn't run well in the water. It starts great...but it won't idle and therefore it's SUPER hard to shift into forward gear. Once in forward gear I can't give it much gas or it will bogg down on me and die. It's also giving me a loud "chuff" sound every now and then. Also...it's tough to shift into reverse...I can hear the gear spinning and clicking...almost like it's slipping. This doesn't happen in my driveway though. Only in the water. 

So I did a search and found a good forum that had info that sounded like my motor. The suggestion was to rebuild each carb. I'm fine with that and I can do it. Is that my next step?  

The motor sat...for a long time...4 years or so before I got the boat last year FOR FREE...mind you. I don't want to put a ton of $$ into this thing...but I like to wrench and I like a challenge. I have the manual but I also need a guide...So any help you all can give me would be appreciated. 

Thanks! 

Admiral

Re: 1984 Evinrude 150xp - Runs well on Muffs...but not on the Lake.

We can only offer some suggestions as 4 years is a long time for sitting, especially if not "pickled" correctly for long term.

Stiff shifting is likely cables or linkage that are worn or internally corroded causing them to be sticky and hard to move.

The lack of acceleration is most likely carbs but could in addition be throttle linkage adjustments.

Chuffing sounds are probably air leaks, dirty carbs, or anything that would make the engine run lean.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Skipper

Thanks for the response. I agree 4 years is way to long...but I don’t see or hear anything that would deter me from moving forward.

Any tips on adjusting the shift and throttle linkages? I read it in the manual but am not “manual literate” as far as some terms go.

If the engine is smoking a lot...is it running rich? How do I know it’s running lean or rich?

Thanks again for the help! I’m ordering the carb kits ASAP!
Admiral

Do you have the orignal factory service manual or an aftermarket brand? The factory manual for your motor is much more detailed and easier to follow.  You can purchase copies using your model number through www.outboardbooks.com

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Skipper

I have the original OMC book. Hard bound with the removable post. Big and thick. Has the OMC logo on it. It covers all the Evinrude engine HP’s...
Highlighted
Admiral

Smoking excessively out the exhaust might be accumulated oil in the carbs and crankcase, air or a restriction in the fuel system causing the fuel-oil pump to deliver a richer mixture, a damaged fuel-oil pump with faulty check valves, running too cold, etc.

You have to test each system and item per the troubleshooting sequence and keep in mind on a motor that old there may be multiple issues affecting its running.

We cannot teach you how to fix your motor here or make you a marine mechanic by computer, the only thing we do here is offer a few suggestions and try to point you in the right direction.

Skipper

Thanks! I appreciate your advice. I’ll let you know what happens after the carb rebuild.
Skipper