Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Highlighted
Mate

1987 Evinrude 150 - recent issue - engine won't shut off and now surging under power

[ Edited ]

New poster here,

I found the E-Nation site while searching the web t-shooting my current issue.  About a week ago I noticed that my engine wasn't running great on plane, lack of power but still running "OK".  When I got back to the dock I noticed that the engine would not shut off. It was running at a rough idle and I could kill it by going into gear. This started my research project, having owned this boat for about 7 years and having a close personal relationship with this motor (it's on a 1987 18' Boston Whaler Outrage).  At first the failure to shut seemed to only happen when the motor is hot, now it doesn't seem to matter.

Older article with similar issue 

My first thought was fuel, this summer when I put the boat in the Racor was clear and I figured I would at least run out last years fuel. To help perk up the old fuel I added 10 gals of aviation fuel to the 30 in the tank (I on my secound fill up of 50 gallons). Boat ran pretty well until about a week ago when this issue started. From my research the engine not stopping seemed ignition or wiring related, the surging seems fuel related.  But having two separate issues happen at the same time did not seem to be that common.  Since I had a new Racor fuel filter I swapped that out and added a glass inline filter after the bulb so I would be able to see any air or water.  I checked all of the power pack and coil wiring cleaning the ground points on the coils on both sides, everything looks good.  One of the power packs looks fairly recent (blue with orange wires), the other looks much older (black).  A friend had a new key switch, so to eliminate that as the issue I swapped it out.

I ran the boat this morning, runs great at lower RPM's up to about 8kts, never makes it up on a plane and as it powers up it starts to surge like it's starving for fuel.  I went back and pumped up the fuel line until it was firm and didn't make any difference.  Headed back to dock, ran fine at a fast idle and world not shut off.

Would really appreciate any input of suggestions on this, fall fishing in the bay is about here...

This is a 1987 150 TX and the VRO system has been removed (mixing oil in the tank). A few years ago I changed over from from the stock VRO fuel pump to a dual primary/secondary pump setup. It's been working great, it can't be more than three years old now. The link shows the model I used for my setup. Dual Fuel Pump 

Highlighted
Admiral

Re: 1987 Evinrude 150 - recent issue - engine won't shut off and now surging under power

[ Edited ]

What is the engine model number? It it is an '87 with twin power packs, sometimes the diode in either one can fail and there will be an interaction between the two and cause rough running. By the same token one pack could have a bad connection or internal failure of the "kill circuit."  

Tests for these conditions and tools needed to diagnose the twin- pack ignition system are in the factory service manual.

You can obtain a copy through www.outboardbooks.com

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Highlighted
Mate

Re: 1987 Evinrude 150 - recent issue - engine won't shut off and now surging under power

BB,

Thanks for the response on this. The Model number is: E150TXCCA SN: R1821715

I've got the service manual and have been reading through the Stop Circuit tests.  Some of the wiring has been jury rigged on the dash end but most of the engine connections are original.

I live near a marina with a repair shop and one the mechanics gave me a new key switch to test with, I swapped it out yesterday and it didn't make any difference.  I did order a power pack and a coil so I would have them for testing this weekend. 

In chatting with the mechanic, he thought that the surging was unrelated - most likely something in the check valve of the tank pickup tube, or a clogged vent. I'll probably replace the fuel line as well it's about 4 years old gets wet under the deck and lots of UV above. That Whaler aft well design is about the dumbest thing I've ever seen (87' Outrage).

Appreciate the update

Highlighted
Admiral

[ Edited ]

@tothemax wrote:

BB,

The Model number is: E150TXCCA SN: R1821715

Your engine is a 1988, not a '87 - luckily it still uses the dual pack ignition system

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Highlighted
Mate

Re: 1987 Evinrude 150 - recent issue - still surging under power. Shut Down issue resolved.

[ Edited ]

I was able to identify the power pack that was not shutting down and after a close inspection found one of the connectors had a broken pin.  I replaced the original connector with new push connector and that resolved the issue. The motor now stops just fine.

I'm still dealing with the surging issue, I really wish there was a way I could determine if it is fuel or ignition related.  My next steps is to go through the fuel system from the engine fuel connector to the carburator.  I had the carbs rebuilt about three years ago and the baot was running pretty well earlier this season.  Here is video I took today while testing it with 5 gallon portable tank so I could bypass the internal tank and filter system.

1988 Evinrude Motor Surging 

Hopefully someone has some idea what is causing this.  The boat is 1987 Boston Whaler Guardian, its the commercial version of the Outrage. This was an old Police boat. With the motor running like it can't get on plane, close but the power isn't steady enough.

Highlighted
Admiral

Re: 1987 Evinrude 150 - recent issue - still surging under power. Shut Down issue resolved.

To check for ignition, mark TDC of each cylinder on the flywheel with white nail polish or a marker. Use a clip on timing light on each cylinder in turn at the affected rpm and watch the numbered mark to see if it flickers or jumps to a different cylinder number.

Be sure to use caution and common sense with the procedure and read the disclaimer at the end of this post.

Highlighted
Mate

So you think this could be an ignition problem, I was getting ready to T-shoot the fuel system. Please explain what I'm looking for - bad power pack?

Highlighted
Admiral

[ Edited ]

I don't think anything as I'm not there to see, touch, test, or hear your motor. All i know is what you decide to tell us.

The pack could be double firing, that is why the test.