Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Highlighted
Skipper

1989 175xp

New to forum but can't find anything in search.  For the older models is the thrust rod needed.  Just got new to me 1989 175 xp and if I have my trim all the way down, when I accelerate there is a big clunk.  If I bring it up a bit it doesn't do it.  Also not sure what oil has been used in mixture.  What would be best oil to use on this older motor.  I am mixing it in gas, oil injection removed.  Thanks in advance.

Highlighted
Admiral

Re: 1989 175xp

387278 is the thrust rod and 321053 spring

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Highlighted
Skipper

Thanks, trying to find used one somewhere. Is it even needed? What oil do you think would be best for this older motor.
Highlighted
Admiral

[ Edited ]

Sorry, as I did not get to finish my previous answer to you as I got called away.

The XD-100 is a fully synthetic oil that is fairly expensive but provides the very best in anti-wear and engine protection.

For your usage, the XD-50 is the best value concerning price, for being a semi-synthetic blend, and not only is good for your motor but minimizes smoke coming out of the exhaust.

Carbon formation is minimal with either oil compared to a straight mineral oil like most TC-W lubes.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.