Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Highlighted
Skipper

1990 30 hp Ignition Question

Hello,

I hope someone can answer this. I have a 1990 30 hp Evinrude that year ago had a powerpack incorrectly installed resulting in damage to the power pack and a few other parts. The person who installed the power pack did not correctly air gap the part which caused it to wear down, then crack and get caught in fly wheel. When the flywheel jammed there was damage done to the throttle linkage, the mount plate was slightly bent and the idle stop was bent and several wire were pulled and stretched.

20525280_1750915881588426_5251871399071019846_n.jpg

While looking for a new power pack, someone who used to work in the field told me to get rid of the UFI, and get a mag plate complete with sensors and charge coils from a 20 to 30 hp 1993 or 1994 and install the power pack on the side of the motor claiming that the UFI system used between 1990 and 1992 was "junk". Does that advice make any sense to anyone, or should I just get a new power pack and replace it?

Also, would anyone have any pictures of how the plates are supposed to be mounted without the flywheel of a similar motor? When the unit jammed, it twisted everything around, and I'm not 100% sure of how the mounting plate is supposed to sit. 

20621820_1750915901588424_5175152310972867829_n.jpg

Thanks!

Admiral

Re: 1990 30 hp Ignition Question

[ Edited ]

For parts listings and numbers go to  shop2.evinrude.com  and select the year and model of your engine.

You can order a service manual from www.outboardbooks.com 

UFI ignition magneto plate.jpg 

UFI ignition magneto plate.jpg ‏45 KB

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Skipper

Thank you for your reply Bill. 

I know what the existing mag plate looks like, and have a manual.

Was hoping someone here would be nice enough to answer the questions I asked.

Thanks,

Admiral

Evinrude does not condone the mixing and changing of parts unless approved in written service literature.  You as an individual are free to do so with your own outboard, but you then assume all the risks and liabilities should something happen such as property damage or someone becomes injured.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Skipper

I'm aware of the risks and liabilities. It's a 23 year old motor, Evinrude's contractual responsibilites for it ended years ago lol.

Still didn't answer any of my questions, but thanks Bill.

Captain

To answer your question, it would be possible to utilize a non-UFI system.  Mounting bosses for power pack may be missing and you may need to hack your own wire harness.

Failure of the UFI ignition module was a known failure mode.  It was caused by thermal expansion of the encapsulant breaking solder joints within the module over time.  "Junk" is perhaps a bit harsh as there are a great number of motors that have been running with the UFI system for a long time.

Skipper

Thanks ElderSparky,

I don't have the experience with UFI myself to call into question it's effectiveness. I was just quoting the opinion of a third party who called it "junk", and that anytime he got a motor into his shop that required replacing the powerpack, would convert it to an external. It did seem a bit odd that they went to the UFI in 90, and then back to the external powerpack in 93, I'm guessing due to the expansion problem you mentioned.

The mounting bosses are present, and from what I can see the wiring harness from a 93 should fit. both the 90 and 93 have the same crankcase (PN 435943). The motors are pretty much identical as far as I can tell, other than a couple of things (such as the UFI).  It seems to me that a mag plate from a 93 should be able to just be dropped in, and then bolt a powerpack to the mount on the side. I was just wondering if anybody within the community had heard any of the same issues, and if it was worth doing it, or just leave it as is? If there is a problem with the UFI, would I just be wasting money throwing a new powerpack under the flywheel or is 

There are sometimes manufacturing or design issues with motors that have been "hacked" by aftermarket communities to great success, by the same token are there are instances of hacks to solve mostly perceived problems.

Thanks for the reply Smiley Happy