Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Captain

1994 Ocean Pro 200 no spark

I am diagnosing an Ocean Pro 200 for a no spark condition. I am looking for the part number for the Evirude tool (or a good substitute) that I can use to check the output from the stators. I have confirmed the kill switch is not the problem and I think I know where there is an optical tach I can borrow (batteries and starter are new) but if I could check the stator outputs I might not need teh tach. My problem is connecting to the pins in the stator connectors while the engine is cranking. Does anyone have a source for tools I can use or make to do this?

Admiral

Re: 1994 Ocean Pro 200 no spark

You need a digital voltmeter and a DVA adapter to get an accurate reading for the output from the various stator coils. The DVA is also needed to test the pack and other items on the motor. Be sure to obtain a factory service manual for the procedures.

Companies such as ESI  and CDI  make DVA adapters 

http://esitest.com/640.html

https://www.cdielectronics.com/product/511-9773nl/

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Captain

I have a Fluke 88 that will do everything I need. The motor I am working on is on a boat that was donated to a sailing club I belong to and I have a limited budget. I have a service manual for the engine that came with the diagnostic software I bought for the engine I own, a 2000 225. I am capable of fixing this engine.

The question I asked was about something I can relaibly connect my meter to the stator outputs with. I'm sure Evinrude makes something. All of the automotive tools I have seen are for backprobing and that is not feasible because of where the connectors are. I also have jumper wires that will pierce the stator wires but I will not do that in a marine application. I currently am looking around for an N/G powerpack to cut the connectors off of but am not having a lot of luck.

For anyone who reads this and is interested Dangar Marine has a video on YouTube that shows how to make a DVA.

Admiral

[ Edited ]

Evinrude tells the tech to obtain a DVA meter or a DVA adapter for accurate troubleshooting. They do not make one.

I also have an old Fluke 88 but you may find the tach readings on an outboard jump around quite a bit, that is from RFI.   CDI electronics makes an adapter that steadies the readings and is well worth it if you do a lot of work on these motors.

I assume that your service manual is for a 2000 Johnson  and not a 2000 Evinrude as those 2 motors are completely different

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Captain

It's an Evinrude manual. I've used my Fluke meter tach on my 2000 Ficht and the RPMs don't jump around anymore than they do on a gas engine. I can't use it on the engine I am working on because there is no spark. 

I'm beginning to think that upu're not going to answer my question which is regarding connecting to the stator harnesses to check voltage output.

Admiral

[ Edited ]

On a '94 there is no test for voltage output on the AC alternator coils of the stator, only resistance. On the other 3 coil windings on the stator, you use a DVA adapter to get the voltage readings, as the correct service manual will tell you.

I'm beginning to think that upu're not going to listen to my responses regarding the correct stator test procedures to check voltage outputs on your 1994 Ocean Pro and that you will continue referring to the wrong Evinrude manual (2000) which is for a completely different engine design and electrical system.

Captain

I am not referring to the wrong manual. I also have specs from CDI website that gives voltage specs. Regardless if there are specs or not there knowing there is output voltage answers a number of questions.

CDI DVA specs for Evinrude engines 

After all of that I'll stop wasting your time because your wasting mine. I asked a simple question about connecting to the coils in such a way that I can safely crank the engine.

Admiral

The title to your post is:

1994 Ocean Pro 200 no spark

Your original question:

I am looking for the part number for the Evirude tool (or a good substitute) that I can use to check the output from the stators.

My initial response:

You need a digital voltmeter and a DVA adapter to get an accurate reading for the output from the various stator coils.

Companies such as ESI  and CDI  make DVA adapters 

http://esitest.com/640.html

https://www.cdielectronics.com/product/511-9773nl/

Captain

I'm all set for a DVA meter. My problem is I need a reliable way to connect to the leads from the stator. Little alligator clips are not working and I'm not putting my fingers under the flywheel while it's spinning. I'm sure Evinrude has a tool they recommend but I think I have found a solution.

Admiral

TEST probe back-probes for outboards.JPG

or

CDI  makes a break-out box for testing ignitions with various connectors - # 511-9756