Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Admiral

Re: 1998 Johnson Ficht 175

It would be best to have a trained technician troubleshoot the warning system for you to  be sure, or if you think positively that it is the ECU send it into one of those companies that do repairs on them.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Skipper

There isn't anyone around here that will even say the word Ficht no less work on one.
Admiral

[ Edited ]

@Whaelerbob wrote:
There isn't anyone around here that will even say the word Ficht no less work on one.

https://www.evinrude.com/en-US/find-a-dealer.html 

Or if you want to gamble, contact one of the ECU/EMM repair facilities and send the unit in yourself.

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Captain

FYI, I have the OEM manual for a 1998 175hp Ficht showing the 1 sensor to the fuel filter. That sensor, which throws Code 37 Check Engine Light for “Check fuel filter for water” connects to Pin 23 on the forward ECU connector.

I’d wonder of there is any value in checking that wiring or pin at the ECU. That is pretty much all the manual says about the fuel/water filter and sensor.
Admiral

It would be a very good idea to check for shorting anywhere along the wire using a ohmmeter connected at the ECU pin in the connector and to ground and wiggiling the harness for the whole length.

Captain

Good tip on “wiggling” the offending sensor wiring Bill - many thanks for adding that!
Skipper

Ok good tip, I connected an ohm meter to both ends but I did not do the wiggle. I will report back, I'd like to exhaust any other cause before sending off the ECU.
Skipper

The wire to the sensor is solid, I sent the ECU off to Marine Computer for repair.

Highlighted
Captain

Thank you for adding that info ... please report back your eventual post-mortem.