Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Skipper

1998 Johnson Ficht 175

I have been getting an intermittent water in fuel alarm on my motor, I have drained the fuel (no sign of water). Can something else be causing this alarm?

Admiral

Re: 1998 Johnson Ficht 175

The metal probe that is inserted into the filter could be shorted, the wiring harness possibly shorted, or rarely but not unheard of is an error inside the ECU warning system circuitry

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Skipper

Is the sensor in the fuel filter? I don't have any wires to the water separator. I have the manual I just need to understand it...:-)
Skipper

20190504_173612_resized.jpg

Is this where the water in fuel sensor is? It has one wire connected at the bottom, the trusty manuel says it should have 2 wires? This is on the port aft  side of the engine.

Admiral

[ Edited ]

@Whaelerbob wrote:

...the trusty manuel says it should have 2 wires? 

You may have an incorrect manual for your motor.

1997 and '98 FICHT use a replacable 1-wire sensor and the common gound. 

The common ground is the fuel filter cannister, bracket, and engine block.

Later sensors uses 2 long probes protruding into the filter and two wires going to an EMM.

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Captain

[ Edited ]

Original OMC manual shows one blue/pink lead to water sensor.

Captain

Recalling a 150 Ficht 1998 engine from years ago. Gave lots of over heat warnings.

Found the wires from sender units on cylinder heads were too close to spark plug wires and the ignition inductions around HT wires were causing the alarm.

Routed the wires away as much as possible with tie straps. Problem gone.

Skipper

Does anyone know how to test this one wire water in fuel sensort?

Admiral

ground the sensor wire with the key ON and the CHECK ENGINE light will come on.

If the light stays on with the wire disconnected, then there is a short in the wire somewhere or the ECU could be malfunctioning. There were instances of that way back when.

Skipper

So I checked the sensor wire for continuity and it checked just fine. I ran the engine and the alarm and light came on, I disconnected the wire to the sensor and started the engine and the alarm came on. Is it safe to assume it's the ECU?