Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Highlighted
Skipper
Accepted Solution

1999 Evinrude 150

I am having a little issue with the motor turning over and not cranking after it cranking and running good prior to killing it and fishing for about an hour. It will turn over and not hit then it might hit 2 times and then it will crank. The TACH doesn't work. This is an EEA motor code
Highlighted
Skipper

Re: 1999 Evinrude 150

It'll most of the time when you start this turning over the motor game it will go on for like 5 min. And it will hit 2 to 3 times and then just turn over then it will hit maybe once and then turn over. Then it will hit 4 to 5 times and it will crank on up, once it cranks it will got to a high idle for 30sec to 1 min and then idle back down. Patting the gas and revving over the idle will not make it slow down. Until it runs out of it. At the end of that 30sec time frame.
Highlighted
Admiral

The nice thing about this website is that you do not have to post multiple questions. The Owners Zone is the best forum for technical inquiries for your outboard.

The high idle on startup is possibly fuel leaking into the intake manifold either from a pinhole in the lift pump diaphragm or a sticky float valve inside the vapor separator tank. (VST)

When the engine cranks over and will not start up and keep running is often a voltage problem, anywhere from a low-capacity battery, a faulty regulator, or a weak stator.  Low or no fuel pressure is also a common cause of hard starting.

The tachometer not reading could be the gauge, the wiring and connections, or a faulty ECU.

You will have to find an experienced technician to troubleshoot your engine to find out why it is not starting easily

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Highlighted
Skipper

The bad thing about this motor the nearest dealer I have found that said they would look at it is 5 hours away. I have a new tach ordered it should be here in the next day or two. I have not tried to check the pulse to the wire going to the tach yet due to the fact that the needle is always at 600 rather it is on or off. As far as hard start I have not ran the bit in 2 days I went out today and I sat down and it fired right up. I may sound like an idiot when I tell you this but i have not had this particular boat very long. I have never owned an EFI motor. I was watching a video and noticed a guy state that he turns the key on and waits for a beeper on his boat to beep then he turns the key. I have not been doing this my beeper must not work.I have been sitting down and turning the key all the way over to the cranking position. Do you think that I possibly could have leak down on the fuel system and that it could be the cause of the hard starting after an hour of not running. Does the fuel system supposed to keep a certain pressure on it after the fuel pump between the injectors?
Highlighted
Admiral

Your description suggests that the tachometer is bad or there is a wiring problem between it and the engine.

The electric fuel pump runs for up to 10 seconds after you turn the key ON, which primes the fuel injectors.  Pausing a few seconds after turning the key to ON, then to START, may help in starting the motor.

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Highlighted
Skipper

I got the new tach in today and replaced it. Do you perhaps know what the idol rpm of these motors should be. My book still has yet to come in.

I had the boat out today on muffs and I cranked it and let it run for a bit and turned it off and let it sit for quite awhile and tried the wait time before going to full cranking position on the ignition and it fired right up. I hope that was just my problem was a little leak down on the fuel system requiring re priming of the pressure before a startup. I have also ordered a re build kit for the lift pump to rule that out as a possible pin hole in the diaphram causing any issues.
Highlighted
Admiral

The idle is not really adjustable as the ECU determines it. Normally it will be around 650 in gear.  There is a voltage reading that you check on the throttle position sensor ( TPS ) when the throttle cable is adjusted.

What is the complete model number from the serial number tag? It would help if it is more than just "EEA"

Highlighted
Skipper

E150FPLEEA. I was curious if the oil I am using could be causing a fouling problem with the plugs. I just changed and indexed the plugs and it ran great. This issue with the idol came up a couple of trips after. I read that the normal OMC oil was bad about it. And that the xd 50 or 100 is what they are recommending now to help with that. I also was looking into maybe an air sensor causing the idol issue because when you get out of idol and run it seems to do good. I was curious to the exhaust sensor. If this sensor is carboned over wouldn't it give a bad reading wanting more fuel because it isn't reading enough in the exhaust.

I ran her today and cruised at 4100 to 4300 that was about all she had trimmed out, but this boat has a 4 blade on it right now so I think it is a little to much prop to get it on over to 5000. Mind you I had 1/4 tank of fuel, full tournament load, 400lbs of persons, and empty live wells. The previous owner added the 4 blade for holeshot and load to tournament fish.
Highlighted
Admiral

The motor should be propped to 5300-5500 rpm for best results but first it has to be determined if the propeller is at fault for the low rpm or if the engine is not putting out its full power.  A dealer should be able to check out the motor's internal health and test the engine output with a cylinder balance test.

If the motor has not had the complete 1 year/100 hour servicing completed, see your dealer. Cleaning or replacing the exhaust sensor tube is part of that. Also the thermostats may need replacing and the idle cylinder head temps checked.

XD-100 is Evinrude's synthetic oil and minimizes carbon deposits in your motor. The less expensive XD-50 semi-synthetic was originally designed for this outboard and works very well.

Highlighted
Skipper

Ok bill I got a chance to go out today and pull the tps sensor off and hold it open with a zip tie and turn the key on to get the codes. I got codes

I believe that 26 is battery volt low
And 17 is Alt low volt

As far as the rest of them I cannot find any info. I was going to try and clear these codes and then get another reading of codes once I clear them and get a chance to go run it. Bad thing is the temps are I the teens right now so that is hard for me to do this weekend