Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Skipper

2 fuel sender issues

Can somone help me with fuel sending issues.  I have 2 new 2017 G2's 300 and a Icon 7 " head unit.  Dealer is telling me that the ICON head unit will not work with the analog senders that are installed on my 2002 fountain center console. Boat was brought to the dealer several times and kept for months and I still have no fuel readings.  The dealer has then told me that they need to have custom NEMA fuel senders made to install in my tanks.  This does not seem correct to me especaily after reading posts on this site.  The dealer told me back in Jan that the senders should be done any day but still do not have the phantom custom NEMA senders. Now the service manager says he does not have answer for me that the owner of the dealership is working on it. At this point the dealer is just trying to get rid of me.  Called BRP they tell me to call to call the dealer.  So frustrated. Can anyone help point me in the right direction as to how I can get my analog fuel senders talking with my 7" Icon head unit.  Thanks

Captain

Re: 2 fuel sender issues

Your dealer is incorrect about several things. Assuming you have the top mount dual binacle then of the many pigtails on it's wiring harness, there are two that are tagged as tank 1 and tank 2. These are analog inputs and can be wired directly to your sending units. Option two is to purchase the fluid level sender converters and connect the senders to the network.
All of this G2 rigging is new to many of us dealers, I've only done 8 so far and each one was a different combination of controls and instruments.
BRP has published training materials, an Installation and Pre Delivery guide and a Rigging and Setup Guide all available for dealers to access online with detailed instructions and diagrams for each set up combination.
Skipper

Thank you for the help. I do have a dual binnacle top mount set up. I sent the dealer an email with all of the information that was provided in the other post and they have not reponded. I called and followed up service manager said that he would forward this info.to the owner. No response from the owner.
At a total.loss. Im pretty mechanical is this something I can do myself or do you need the dianostic software to calibrate the units. Also I have 1 main tank and 2 Auxillary tanks. Would be happy to read just the main tank but if it it can read all 3 I would hook them up. Would it be better to hook them up through the NEMA back bone. Is there a difference Thanks
Captain

The premium dual binacle has pigtails labeled tank 1 and tank 2 for analog fuel sender's. There are two others that will display as oil tanks but can be reconfigured with the display menus. All that is needed is to wire the sending unit wire (usually pink) and sending unit ground of each tank sender to the control harness. Evinrude has a socket on the pigtail and sells a matching plug to wire to the sender wires but wires can also be spliced.
The 7.0 CTS users guide gives instructions on how to configure the tank inputs and how to calibrate the senders with the display menus.
Skipper

Thank you very much for your help. I will give it shot. I cant thank you enough
Skipper

By the way is your dealership any where near CT
Captain

It would be a bit of a tow, I'm 1300 miles south on the Mississippi Gulf Coast. The users guide can be downloaded by searching " googling" "icon 7.0 CTS users guide". Also you can get the Evinrude Elink or iLink app from Google play store or iTunes. The app has most of the functions of the CTS displays. It does not have the fuel tank configure options of the CTS displays though. But the app and users guide are a good way to learn the display functions without being in the boat.
Skipper

Wish you were closer. I sent pretty long email and finally got a call from the dealer they said that the fuel senders that are in the boat have some type of chip in them that requires 12v to work. That they power it up with 12 v it works on an anlog gauge. When they connect it to the icon it registers for a second then disappeares. They said that with all other senders that were in other boats they have done worked fine. They told me that the g2 system works on 5 volts and that is how they concluded that i need new senders. They send that they have never seen a sender like the ones that are in my fountain so they called the manafature centriod. They said a normal sender will work fine. I sent them the link to a Wema S5U sender and asked them to confirm that it will work.
Does the g2 system only put out 5 volts. Is this true??
Captain

[ Edited ]

Most senders are just a variable resistors to ground. The voltage fed to them for the most part is irrelivent . The control head (the G2) is just reading the resistant through current flow. However those Centroid senders are very unique, they have no moving parts and use Capacitance to determine the fuel level. This would mean that voltage is important for these gauges. I would find it odd that 5V is used to "power" those gauges on a G2, the control head is powered by the ignition voltage of 12 v. Would be kinda silly to step it down to 5 V. I suspect the output of those senders is not what the G2 is expecting. If you read the link below you will see the  output is programmable and this may not be compatible with the G2. I suspect the reason it works with the exiting  gauges in your boat is they are matched to those senders, not the 12 volts. If it were me I would leave it as it is, I would rather have thove analog gauges then hunting through menus on a panel display.

http://www.centroidproducts.com/

Captain

If my memory is correct, most analog fuel gauges have 12volts coming in from B+ and 5 - 7 volts out to the sending unit. A sending unit operating on battery voltage would change readings with engine speed.