Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Highlighted
Mate

200 ETec won't shift into gear

Shift cables seem fine, linkage at the base of the power head moves freely and is not damaged.  Just fill not shift into fwd or reverse, no noise from lower unit.  It just seems as if its being run in nuetral.

Highlighted
Admiral

Re: 200 ETec won't shift into gear

You should feel a light detent action if the gearcase shift rod is hooked up and actuating when you move the engine's shift linkage with the cable removed.

If nothing happens, then the gearcase will have to be removed and inspected. Have you checked the propeller and sampled the gear oil for metal fragments?

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Highlighted
Mate

Thanks Travis,

I took it to the shop this morning, they removed the upper gear case oil plug.  It was covered in metal shavings.  His gut feeling is the entire gear case will need replacing.  I run it three to four days a month fishing, once a year for a week straight.  This typical usage for me doesn't seem like I should have changed the lube before the 3 year point.  But now I wonder....

Highlighted
Mate

Just had the lower unit replaced on my 2012 225HO, at 56 hrs. Had sticky shifting issues with motor until gearcase tried to spit gear through wall of gearcase.

Had talked to another 2012 250HO owner that had same issue at 10 hrs on his motor, shifting fork is the culprit.

What's the scoop on these gearcases? Supposedly M2 gearcase was answer to L2 gearcase issues?

Highlighted
Mate

I also had a problem with my 200HO e-tec, 2012 model not shifting into reverse. It did though manage to shift into first. I don't know how many hours use was, not more than 50 though. The dealership fixed the prob though.

Tim
Engine: E200DHXIN/05347204
Highlighted
Captain

do not and I stress do not try to go in reverse if it does not. this happened to me this weekend on my 300 when trying to take off trailer and I had no rev and tried to many times and it slamed in at very high rpm and now I have a twisted spline and gear case blew. and by the way brp does not warranty this either
Highlighted
Captain

I am looking to start a class action suit against evinrude for this as it happened to me and thay wont warranty it.if interested pm me
Highlighted
Mate

i just had this happen to me mikeslki4fun@sbcglobal.net