Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Captain
Accepted Solution

200 Oceanpro check valves

I see two check valves listed for my 1997, external and internal. I'm going to test the externals and I understand how they recirculate fuel, but what do the internal check valves do? Any effect on idle and slow speed performance?

Admiral

Re: 200 Oceanpro check valves

The recirculation system picks up and re-distributes the puddles of fuel and oil that accumulate inside the manifold and crankcase at idle and low speed. If plugged up, the engine starts to "load up" and idle quality suffers. If they are stuck open, the cylinder "sucks air" and can run lean, often heard by a popping or backfire noise at idle or low speeds.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Captain

Are the internal check valves also  part of the recirculation system and do they require periodic testing and/or servicing? I'm referring to part 0436385. Thanks as always for your help.

Admiral

Unless stuck with debris or stale fuel varnish deposits, the check valves should operate normally. 

One quick way to tell is to trim the motor to level and idle around for a while. The idle should not load up as time goes by. Then trim the motor up slightly and note if the idle improves. If so, the valves are not doing their job.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.