Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Skipper

200 wont start

Here is some background. Engine ran fine one day, next day was hard to start then you could not get up to full power, next day would not start at all. No spark to any plug. Change out power pack, timming trigger and stator still no spark. Checked kill swith it was working. N

Looked like starter was not turning over engine fast enough. Manuel said at least 250 to 300 rpm's. Replace battery with brand new fully charge, still no difference. Changed out starter motor still no different. Could the slow spin of fly wheel be the issue or bad starting solenoid. Have checked and cleaned all wireing connections. 

How do you check the flywheel rpm's if that is the problem?

Admiral

Re: 200 wont start

There are many models and versions of a 200 hp outboard since the late 1970's. 

What is your engine model number so we know what motor you have and can give accurate suggestions?

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Skipper

Its a 1993 E200TXETF

Captain

If you don't have an optical tachometer (Amazon has some for cheap) and you have a phone that does slow motion video mark your flywheel wirh something contrasting and with a clock with a second counter in the picture record the engine cranking. You can than count the revolutions in a 5 or 10 second time frame and do the multiplication.

Skipper

I can turn the motor over by the flywheel so I know that it is free. It just cranks and cranks with no hint of firing.

Captain

Can you feel the compression in both cylinders when you turn it by hand? My experience with my 2000 engine makes me want to check that the engine is cranking fast enough.
Skipper

I checked compression and it is within specs. What would be the cure if the motor is not turning over fast enough?

Admiral

@esaunders55 wrote:

I checked compression and it is within specs. What would be the cure if the motor is not turning over fast enough?

More capacity or a better battery, clean all cable connections. check intenal starter condition, perform a voltage-drop test on the starting electrical system.

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Skipper

Should I put a starting battery or a dual purpose in the boat.  I assume I need one with a high CCA.

Admiral

A minimum 800CCA or 1000MCA starting battery

Battery Connection - no wing nuts.jpg