Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Highlighted
Mate

2000 175hp Evinrude Ficht not cranking

I have an Evinrude 175 hp outboard that was purchased in 2000. It is a model number E175FPXSSR. It has always started up with no problem. Recently it started cranking but then suddenly stopped before the motor started. I have determined the starter 20A fuse was blown. I tried changing it, but that just resulted in another blown fuse. Any ideas on what is the most likely cause would be appreciated. Boat is at a dock now, but will need to get towed to the launch in the next 2 days if I cannot get it started. Nearest Evinrude dealer is 80 miles away from my 49931 zip code. Thank you, Frank
Highlighted
Admiral

Re: 2000 175hp Evinrude Ficht not cranking

[ Edited ]

The 20 amp fuse protects the wiring to the EMM (engine computer). If it blows repeatedly and there is not a short in the wiring, then the EMM is bad. It can be exchanged by an authorized dealer or sent out for repair to an independent company such as DFI Technologies.

Has the motor had a history of either the engine or the EMM overheating? Have you had any electrical problems or charging problems in the past? Anyone ever cross the battery cables resulting in reverse polarity? Those types of situations stress the electronics inside the EMM.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Highlighted
Mate

Engine does not have a history of overheating and has not had reverse polarity. Finally narrowed it down to a bad relay. Have it on order now ($30). Will post later if this worked.
Highlighted
Admiral

That's a bit of a surprise that you found a bad relay causing the 20 amp fuse to blow. All your fuses are 10 amp size except for the 20 amp one that is on a separate wire going directly to the EMM. It is not inside the power distribution panel like the others but is hanging free in a holder.

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Highlighted
Skipper

Starter problem = Bad EMM is an awfully big jump, isn't it?

Howabout start with the starting system first, and eliminate the simple stuff first?

You may be right, of course, but MAN, that's a scary first answer to a starter issue!  Smiley Happy

-TH

Highlighted
Admiral

On your motor, the EMM completes the ground circuit for the primary starter delay relay, so a faulty or intermittent EMM could keep the relay from activating the starter and solenoid.

This is not your father's outboard that could be fixed with a screwdriver and an adjustable wrench. It is like a modern car, all computer controlled with special tools and procedures needed for servicing.

Highlighted
Mate

Hi, found this thread and it appears you might be able to answer a question. I mistakenly hooked up the ground bus bar wires to the positive terminal on battery. I had the boat stored for two years, and just was getting it ready for this summer. I had all terminals hooked up, and started the motor right up. It's a 2003 Evinrude Ficht 200hp. I then shut everything down, and noticed I had missed hooking up those two yellow (8 gage) wires. Never traced them back to the negative bus bar i on the battery box. Oh my! Assuming the other yellow wires runs forward to negative bus bar under the dash. 

Left that hooked up for half a day, discharged a brand new battery. So the heat went somewhere! the negative bus bar in the battery box looks good, the wires were warm, but not melted or plastic burned. Not even the wires connected to batter negative terminal looked bad. 

The boat started right up before these wires were hooked up at all.

Problem now, blowing the 10 amp fuse for the Stop Ign / Filter circuit. I get no check lights at all. Turn the key to the first position and the 10A fuse blows. I checked the 20 amp and it's OK. 

I removed the shifter and inspected the wires for the key switch, and all looks good. I just don't know where to start first. The key is putting voltage thru the PNP, but blowing the 10amp fuse, that can't be good. Wires look good on the main plugs for the PNP. 

Appreciate any suggestions and trouble shooting procedures.

Highlighted
Admiral

Reversed polarity can do untold damage to the electrical systems on both the boat and the motor. The first cause of action would be to find out if the short circuit is located in the boat or on the engine.

Disconnect all boat wiring and only have the engine connected to see if the short continues. If so, most dealers have a portable separate keyswitch harness that will bypass all the boat's engine wiring and controls. That can show if the problem is engine or boat related.

It will be a step by step process to find the problem, plus it is a good idea to inspect every wire connection and component for any electrical arcing, melting, or damage.

Highlighted
Mate

Hello Guys i have this exact problem with my 175 fitch v6 evinrude. Did this get solved in the end ?? im almost certain the emm is at fault as i run 24v through a start pack by accident and i think thats done it , the 20 amp fuse pops repeatedly just as the engine is about to turn over

Highlighted
Admiral

Unless a wire from the fuse circuit is pinched or shorted, it sounds like an EMM problem but it may be best to have a tech check out everything to make sure that it is not some other component pulling too much current through the EMM.