Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Highlighted
Captain
Accepted Solution

2000 90HP Ficht RAM - Kill Switch Replacement

Evening, folks.

The dead-man's switch on my control box for my 2000 90HP Ficht no longer functions. Was hoping for some help with an OEM part number or link for replacement. 

To be clear - the kill switch doesn't cut the engine or prevent starting if not engaged. The lanyard makes no difference whether in or out.

Model: E90FPLSSH

Thank you.

Highlighted
Admiral

Re: 2000 90HP Ficht RAM - Kill Switch Replacement

[ Edited ]

If your clip and lanyard is the type that fits around the keyswitch and physically turns the key to OFF, then the motor will run without the safetyswitch so the passengers can restart the motor and rescue the operator who fell out of the boat.

If that is what you have, it is best to keep the clip attached to the keyswitch as it also provides a positive detent feel for OFF, ON,  and START.

If you have an older control, you may have the on-off switch type of safety switch that electrically connects the black/yellow wire with ground to stop the motor and the switch or wiring could be faulty.

Post a picture of your control box and safety switch so we know what kind. You could also have an off-brand switch that someone jury rigged on your boat.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Highlighted
Captain

Thanks, Bill. Will snap a photo this evening. I have what I'll call the jet ski style Killswitch. The lanyard has a spade-style clip that I believe is meant to keep the key "cylinder" depressed, and if it pulls off the motor is killed.

If a different style is better I'm open to those suggestions too.
Highlighted
Captain

@BluewaterBill

Thanks again. Attached are some photos of my controls and the killswitch and keyswitch. Thanks for your thoughts. I'm ok with an OEM replacement of the same type of killswitch or a better system as long as it's reasonably approachable for a DIY-er like me.

Appreciate it. And to be totally clear, whether that killswitch is on or off, I can start and run and turn off the motor. 

IMG_20200514_212803.jpg

IMG_20200514_212816.jpg

IMG_20200514_212902.jpg

IMG_20200514_212846.jpg

Highlighted
Admiral

You have the best type which Evinrude has used since 1996.  

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Highlighted
Captain

That is the current style kill/ignition switch combination. This design will start without the lanyard attached. To test push the key in, clip the lanyard on, pull the lanyard, the key should rotate to the off position. If the key does not rotate to off you may get good results by spraying some lube such as WD-40 on the switch, otherwise the switch needs to be replaced so it will spring back to off.
Highlighted
Captain

Highlighted
Admiral

@asechrest wrote:

Thank you. And if it needs replacing, this is the one, yes?

https://smile.amazon.com/BRP-Johnson-Evinrude-Ignition-5005801/dp/B001L0YBQW/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&key...

that is the correct one

Highlighted
Captain

Thanks to you both. Marked the thread as solved.