Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Mate

2000 90hp Johnson check engine light and warning horn question.

My boat is rigged with a 2" gauge with warning lights for "No Oil", "Low Oil", "Temp" and "Check Engine". I am looking for info on what will cause the "Check Engine" light and warning horn to go off. In a one hour trip the alarm will go off sometimes two times or not at all. I check the engine over and see no problems and in a couple of minute's the alarm clears. Not sure if this is related or not but the last trip out the tach started reading high,  what I trying to say is the tach is reading higher than the actual engine RPM, example at 4,000 engine RPM the tach is reading like 5,500

Thanks in advance for you time and any wisdom.

Admiral

Re: 2000 90hp Johnson check engine light and warning horn question.

On a 90hp 2000 Johnson, there is no circuit for the CHECK ENGINE light. It is not used on that motor. My guess would be a faulty gauge or an intermittent short in the tan/orange wire somewhere in the system.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Mate

Thanks for the reply, I will check that circuit out next week.

Skipper

4 or 2 stroke?

Admiral

Bryansboat,

Johnson did not have a 90hp 4 stroke in 2000.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Mate

2 stroke