Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Mate

2000 Evinrude Ficht Ram 135HP.. Help!!

Hi guys,

I've googled as much as I can to find out what my problem could be (apart from owning a FICHT!) which I experienced yesterday on the water.

THE HISTORY:

Bought a Bayliner Trophy 1802 with a Suzuki DF140 which pretty much dissolved on me (lack of care from previous owner not me).  So, at the time I didnt have the money to really buy a decent engine and the 135HP Ficht came up for sale really cheap so had no other option for the money that I had at the time, so bought it. I knew about the EMM problems before buying so i went in eyes open.

The motor model is E135FSXSIF, Serial # G04903245. Approx hours are about 140hrs.  I have used it for only approx 4 hours use but bought about 18 months ago. (hadnt had time to use the boat as been renovating our home).

The last time the boat was on the water was in June and ran like a dream.

Fuel tank was not flushed / drained prior to repowering with the Evinrude. The external fuel filter looks worse for wear and I will replace now that i have seen it.  I can't seem to locate the fuel/water separator on the engine itself (if it has one?)

I notice the following things:

My 600w Drum winch is struggling to operate even with the engine running which i do anyway.

The fishfinder warning comes on saying "Low voltage fishfinder may power off"

There used to be dual batteries but one died so only have a 660CCA Marine Battery which was kept in what i thought was good maintainence byt running the motor on the muffs every month and connecting the trickle charger to keep the battery charged.  One woould assume that this battery has died too from the above things?

The fuel primer bulb does not get hard / firm when you pump it.  Engine starts up without the primer bulb being hard.  Engine fires up very easily.

THE PROBLEM / SITUATION

Launched the boat and the marina and drove for about 5kms when suddenly the engine made this sound as it dropped the revs down to pretty much idle, warning horn beeped for about 5 seconds, check engine light on.

The sound it made sounded like this..... Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr (normal running) ..chung chung..chung..chung (as engine is reducing rpms) then idling like normal.  If you give it gas while the light is on it allows you to limp around 1,400 to 1,500rpm burbling as she goes.

Turn the engine off and she fires straight back up like nothings happened and then after about 25secs again it happens.

I continued to do this with about 5 to 8 mins in between to get me back to the marina.

No other lights on the dash came on except for CHK ENG (yet!)

I just hope its something else besides my worst fear...EMM failure Smiley Surprised

Could anyone shed some light on what may be happening with the information on the engine and symptoms please?

Smiley SadSmiley Sad

Captain

Re: 2000 Evinrude Ficht Ram 135HP.. Help!!

1 drain out old fuel

2 replace filters drain vst

3 put something that resembles a battery in it. new, charged, not sulfated  

4 check/index/replace plugs

5 connect 5 gal remote tank to motor 5 gallons gas+ 1 can sea foam in it

6 start motor on muffs or in a barrel of water

7 check to see what battery voltage is with a meter with engine running should be 13-14 volts

8 report back

Mate

Hi Colostomizer!

Thanks for that I will do that! 

Will report back on Thursday Smiley Happy

Admiral

Your motor is a 2001 model according to your information.

The check engine warning could mean a number of things from water in the fuel filter to an overheated EMM from cooling passage restriction. The fact that the motor slowed down automatically and would not accelerate indicates that it was a major fault that could damage the motor.

The on-engine fuel filter is located behind the air silencer box.

You will need the engine checked over by a dealer tech who has the Evinrude Diagnostics program on a laptop, just like almost every newer motor that is EPA approved. On your 17 year old motor it may need complete servicing by the dealer and possibly other work due to deterioration during the long periods of non-use and a fuel system flush out.

Install a heavy duty battery, lead acid type, with 1000 MCA or 800CCA as the older FICHTS need all the starting power they can get.  Good luck with her.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Mate

Thanks Blue Water Bill.  Yeah, unfortunately I dont know the history of the engine when I bought it as and it has laid around since July.

I hope its a fuel issue as that would seem to be an easier thing to remedy than to either have the EMM sent to the US to DFI from New Zealand for repair which would take a long timei would assume then the summer for me is over or junk the engine and see what I can repower the boat with.  Either way im hoping for an easier faster fix just to get back on the water.

All will be revealed on Wednesday afternoon I suppose when it gets to the service centre in the morning.

Will keep you updated.  Fingers crossed!

Mate

@kiwi_fisho wrote:

Thanks Blue Water Bill.  Yeah, unfortunately I dont know the history of the engine when I bought it as and it has laid around since July.

I hope its a fuel issue as that would seem to be an easier thing to remedy than to either have the EMM sent to the US to DFI from New Zealand for repair which would take a long timei would assume then the summer for me is over or junk the engine and see what I can repower the boat with.  Either way im hoping for an easier faster fix just to get back on the water.

All will be revealed on Wednesday afternoon I suppose when it gets to the service centre in the morning.

Will keep you updated.  Fingers crossed!

Minor point with major performance implications.  Double check your combustion oil.  XD45, no more, no less.  I will save you the time and me the embarrassment explaining why NOTHING else wiil work effectively.