Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Skipper

2000 Ficht 150 E150FCXSS - Runs 2 second and dies

Well this is my first post and i might as well tell a good story...

I bought a saltwater bay boat two years ago that had a Ficht 150 on it.  I was told it had been bought at auction but was supposed to be running.... well it wasn't.

It ended up having a hole in the gas tank and was sucking water in to the tank.  The fuel filter was full or water.  I replaced the filter and cleaned everything out.  I tried to start it up and having never seen one of these didn't realize it had the fuel pump missing from the back.  I pumped the filter and lines full with the build and turned it over.....well it caught on fire.  Luckily, I had a fire extinguisher and put it out.  I bought a pump on ebay and tried it again.  After using a lot of starter fluid (injectors were full of water) I managed to catch it on fire again....At this point I should have probably let it burn...

Well more careful application of starter fluid and probably running the starter too long and it sputtered a couple times.  A while later it stuttered, sputtered, died and eventually cleaned itself out.  After I got the system cleaned up it would start in about 2 seconds and run great.  I idled it for a long time on a hose and it will start and everything seemed to work great.

I built a custom bow fishing boat and mounted the engine on it along with the controls etc.  It is too much motor for the boat but all worked fine.

Given that I didn’t' have the original controls, I don't have any lights to tell me anything is wrong.  When I would run it, I would get a beep every few seconds.  I thought it might be oil related.  The pump works and the tank is recirculating oil back from the engine to the tank.  The beep would go away then come back randomly 

Fast forward to a few weeks ago.  I was test running the engine on the hose and it was starting fine.  It would beep so I was trying to see if I could find anything wrong.  Messing with it I revved it up in neutral to see if it changed anything.  I turned the engine off with the throttle revved.  I hit the starter and it fired up and revved then died.

Since I did this the engine will start at idle and run for about 2 seconds then die.  It starts easily then dies at the same time every time.  If I start it revved it will start and stay running but run rough.

Here is where it is weird.  If I unplug all the sparkplugs on one side, it will run rough at idle and stay running.  It will do this on either side.  If I plug any of the plugs in on the other side it will immediately die.  This is repeatable.  Remove the plugs on the left or right and it will run until any plug on the other side is plugged in.

I have Evinrude diagnostic software and a cable.  I checked it today and didn’t have any active codes (just got this yesterday).  I wasn’t able to run it, just turned the power on and hooked it up..  I will get it on the hose and see if I can repeat it with the software running.  I don’t have much experience with the software so suggestions with that will be appreciated.  I also have a Clymer Evinrude manual and have the OEM manual (787063) on order from ebay.

Engine serial is 4815471 and it has 344 hours

Thanks for the help hope you find humor in my misfortunate start to Ficht ownership…

Captain

Re: 2000 Ficht 150 E150FCXSS - Runs 2 second and dies

A couple of comments...
Never use starting fluid,,, flammable brake cleaner works and is less volatile. Even better is Evinrude engine tuner as it decarbons and has a little lubrication.
EV5, has a testing screen, but it's been a long time since I connected to a Ficht that I can't,t recall which tests work. Static tests are for key on/engine off and dynamic tests are for engine running.
Skipper

Any thoughts on shy it would run with one side of the plugs pulled and die when one is plugged in or the other running issues listed above?

Thanks

Captain

I am at a loss on that one. I have worked on only a couple Ficht engines so not very experienced with them.
Perhaps Bill can help on this one.
Use the monitor screen on EV5 to look at system voltage. It may be there is not enough voltage output to run more than 3 coils. You may try running the engine on top and bottom plugs on one side and the center plug on the other side.
Skipper

I ran it again tonight.  It did pretty much the same thing.  I got it running revved up and it threw a CPS sensor intermittent loss fault.  I pulled the sensor, sanded the tip a little and installed it back with a .030 gap all the way around.  It didn't fix the cutting off issue, but I didn;t get anymore CPS faults.  

I did confirm that it will start at idle and stay mostly running on any three cylinders.  When running with three cylinders it had system voltage of 28 to 29 volts and was idling about 425 rpm.  When I would pulg in a fourth cylinder, it would rev, spike the voltage to about 38 and immediately die all within about a second.

It didn't show any other faults while roung idling on three cylinder.

Admiral

What is the last letter on the model number? You can find it on the serial number sticker on the engine.

It appears to be a voltage problem according to your description, perhaps stator or EMM. Inspect the blue capacitor also for rattles, oil leakage or poor connections.

If you plan on doing your own repairs, the first thing to do is obtain a factory service manual from www.outboardbooks.com or look on Ebay

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Skipper

E150FCXSSM

I have a factory book on the way show to be delivereing today
Skipper

The service manual book did come in, I can see that it is much more detailed than the Clymer book that I had before.  I did read through it I 'm up to the testing section.

I havne't gotten back to the shop,  I will work through all the checks that are in the book.  I also ordered the Parts Catalog, Accessouy part manual, and accessory service manual.  They will be in this week.

Admiral

The printed parts catalog may or may not be up to date as there were both V and M suffix versions. Use this link for an online parts listing -  http://shop2.evinrude.com/

Y
our model number is for an engine with a counter-rotation (left hand) gearcase

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Skipper

It does have a left hand gear case.  Honestly I never noticed that before.  I've only had it for a year and a half and only finished my boat that it is on last summer.  Didn't run it but a couple times last year.  I guess I will pray I don't break the prop.  It is a stainless steel so maybe I won't break it.  Then again it's mounted on a boat specificially desinged to run shallow....

if I can't get this one to work I have a 1978 110 HP evinrude to put on there that was running when I bought the boat.