Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Mate

2001 200 HP FICHT

Bought engine new approx 3 yrs ago. Had EMM replace after < 100 hrs while still under warranty. Ran well for the most part until last spring when check engine alarm started going off, aronf 275 hrs. Took to dealer who replaced water pump saying was worn out. Runs for one outing, the alarms start going off and EMM limits to < 1000 RPM allowing me to 'slowly' return to dock. Have been told it is salt crystallization decreasing flow which is cleaned/blown out, allows to run for a period of time, next time I go out same problem. I'm flushing with both 'salt away' per recommendation, as well as with fresh water. Boat lives in the water with engine elevated out of water. Took to another dealer who said need new EMM and complete flush of cooling system. is this a common problem with these engines, any recommendations. Is this engine worth spending a lot on $ on? Getting very frustrated, have been an Evinrude fan for years, but starting to lose it!
Admiral

Re: 2001 200 HP

[ Edited ]
Hi,
Sorry to hear about your engine problems. There are other items in the engine cooling system that often. need attention and servicing such as the pressure relief valve and the thermostats. The CHECK ENGINE light can mean a number of things including water in the fuel, an electrical malfunction, or an EMM overheat condition.

The cooling water from the EMM cannot be obstructed and it also circulates through the fuel cooler called the vapor separator tank - VST. Do to the narrow cooling passage, the VST can clog with sand very easily.

The EMM keeps track of every overheat, the engine hours, and the maximum temperature recorded. From that info your dealer can narrow down the culprit.

Sometimes in saltwater engines deposits can form inside the passageways or in shallow water areas, sand or mud can do the same thing.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Mate

Thanks for response, Numerous diagnostic runs and always shows mild overheat, thus presumed to be salt crystallization, Dealer has pulled cooling system hoses and found crystallized salt in areas, mostly by vapor separator, clean out well and engine runs for that first time out and back to dock.  I flush engine and next time out as soon as I get over about 3500 RPM, check engine buzzer again goes off.  I've cleaned out the system numerous times, blown air though cooling system like recommended by dealer.  I have had it back to dealer 5 times this last summer/fall, he says it is the same problem each time, cleans it out and away we go only for the exact same problem to occur. Engine temps slightly elevated each time.  Have replaced water pump, never near sand/grit as in deep water and in cool water < 70F all the time.  Diagnostics has multiple codes of EMM temp above range., code 25 x 20, and code 29 x2.  Engine hours 306, max RPM 6231, Max temp. 177.4, EMM max temp 215.6   Dealer continues to say salt blockage, and needs to be cleaned out which I continue to do with very limited change and continued recurrent problem.

Thanks,

BR

Admiral

[ Edited ]

It is also possible that your engine has air being ingested into the water inlet screens due to turbulence from engine mounting, hull design, or transom mounted transducers. If there is any item or thru-hull fitting within 17" on either side of the engine centerline or within about 5' in front of the motor,  it may be disrupting clean water flow to your outboard. The engine water pressure can be monitored by temporarily attaching a pressure gauge and running the engine at all speeds, trim settings, and turns.

A knowledgeable tech can hook up a piece of clear hose to the EMM cooling line and monitor to see if any air bubbles are coming through the EMM due to aerated water entering the engine. The cooling hose fittings should also be removed and inspected for blockage as well as the areas of the motor where they are fastened.

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Mate

Re: 2001 200 HP FICHT

[ Edited ]

I had a 2000 200 Fitch. I had the same issue with mud clogging the cooling system to the EMM. Dealer said they cleaned it out and replaced WP. It happened again and finally we had another dealer that was authorized to work on them. Thye cleaned out and said dirt was caked in it. It ran fine for a few months and then had the same problem again. This time the EMM fried and it cost 1K to get repaired. Less than a year later I lost a cyclinder. These engines have issues with emm cooling hoses getting clogged and I sure hope my Etec has better luck with it.

I truely feel there is a lack of good techs out there that know how to completely clean these engines out. Hopefully this will change quickly with BRP being a better company than OMC was. Evinrude lost so many dealers when OMC failed to take care of the dealers with rebates etc during the bank ruptcy and BRP didn't back them up either. Thus, dealers and techs left Evinrude/Johnson.

Hate to say it but your motor is a ticking time bomb, but I guess they all are. The problem is no one will want to buy it from you even if it's running. I's worth maybe 1K in parts if you can get anyone to buy it.

One more thing to add. Niether shops I had it in ever said anything about a VST so I doubt they ever checked it out. My bet is that it was clogged also.

Good Luck

Admiral

tdt91,

Just to get the facts straight, when Bombardier was awarded the court-appointed  bankruptcy auction for Johnson and Evinrude, a few months after the OMC closed their doors, they honored all the original factory warranties for the past two model years of motors. They trained and supported the remaining dealers also.

Bombardier was under no obligation to support the former OMC products, but they did so out of their own pockets and for good customer service. Back then the factory warranty was for 2 years and Bombardier took care of the remaining warranties for both the consumer and the dealer.

Mate

No argument with that Bill. I refering to dealers not getting rebates from OMC on motors sold. I understand BRP had no obligation to either and if it was my company I wouldn't either. I'm just stating that dealers got burned in the bank ruptcy and left JohnRude which left us with few if any dealers / techs to take care of issues. It's getting better but I still see a lack of good techs to service Evinrudes, at least in close proximity to me.

Mate

Just as a follow up from story above. Went out 3 wks ago, again engineer warning light goes off as has done several times over last yr. motoring in at 1000 RPM, hear a 'pop', turn around and 3' fireball shooting out the back of the engine! Needless to say, engine and electronics all fried. Trying to see if can get any Ins. Coverage, but unsure which way to go to re-power. Have been Evinrude fan for yrs. as stated above. But would sure need to be much more assured that support would be better and engine more reliable. Very frustrated with a worthless engine with 300 hrs on it!!
Admiral

[ Edited ]

I am sorry to hear about your engine's demise.

You should know that the Evinrude E-TEC outboard is designed and manufactured by BRP and not the former out-of- business company that built your old engine 14 years ago. There is a world of difference in the design and quality control with the E-TEC. Try one out and you will see what I mean, the first thing you will notice is how quiet and smooth it is.

Highlighted
Mate

Check the VST, they are known to clog.  The interior was painted and over time it chips away and obstructs the bottom tube.  I placed a couple t's in the line to allow the computer to have plenty of flow should the VST become clogged the computer would not overheat. This will not fix the VST clogging issue.  The only fix is a new VST, clearing the obstruction will only be good until the next paint chip flakes off and starts the obstruction process again.  Perhaps, and im just thinking out loud, removing the paint from inside the VST would be a permanent repair.  My 02 250 has a black paint slurry come out when its cleared each time.  It took years and $ to discover the source.  Happy to pass this on and hope it helps.