Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Highlighted
Skipper

2001 FICHT 200HP - NO SPARK ISSUE

Need some help. I've got a FICHT 200 HP that has some bad fuel. Ran the engine for the first time in 3 years in fresh water, and the engine "ran away", went from 1500 rpm's at idle/neutral to quickly 5000 rpm's before shutting down. I've been told the EMM threw a code 57 (fuel related shutdown) and needs reset (cost estimated $800). Then the fuel related issue must be found. I've been told by several mechanics that the FICHT is terrible and should be thrown in the water. No fuel system parts are available, so I'd be throwing money away to try to fix the issue (after spending $800 for the EMM repair!). Does this sound right? Are parts gone? I'm thinking a bad fuel pump, maybe a bad diaphram? I've got a fuel/water seperator in line, as well as a fuel filter that's on the engine, but I'll admit the fuel probably is varnish. I haven't met a mechanic that has given me the warm fuzzies that they can repair it, but I've had a share telling me to throw the engine out and repower. Up to this point, I've had no issues. I've run it on the trailer every month during the season (6 months) every year that I couldn't get to the water and it's done great. But under power, it sure went dead. Any ideas?

I started looking at newer (still in warranty) 200 HP engines and wanted to know if the 2018 Evinrudes had issues. Don't want to keep running these engines if I have to repower for a river run with grandkids every 5-8 years!

Thanks.

Highlighted
Captain

Re: 2001 FICHT 200HP - NO SPARK ISSUE

The code 57 is remedied by using the diagnostic software tool to clear the stored faults.  It literally takes only a couple of minutes to reset this fault.

The engine set the fault due to excess fuel entering the cylinders by some means.  The source of entry for the excess fuel must be found and corrected before attempting to use the engine further.

ElderSparky

· Was your question answered? Help others find the answer by clicking "Accept as Solution".
· See a great post? Give a Kudo kudo.pngto show your appreciation!
Highlighted
Skipper

Re: 2001 FICHT 200HP - NO SPARK ISSUE

Thanks ElderSprky:

Based on your reply, will I get by without having to have the EMM sent of and repaired? (estimated costs about $800). Sounds like an Evinrude repair tech (I've found a "Platinum Level" technician) can reset the engine code and allow the engine to "spark" at least while checking for the fuel related issues...I hope. If I can save the $800 resetting fees, I can put that toward the repairs.

I am fairly confident that my old fuel (3 years sitting) is the culprit. I ran it on the trailer with muffs for 3 years and had no cranking or idling issues, but when I took it out in October, it "ran away" from me on idle (RPM's went from 1200 to 5000 in a second) and the engine shut down. Won't even turn over; silent.. I've taken it to 4 other mechanics who have all told me to throw the engine away, no parts, bad engine, buy a new one, all FICHTs have issues, etc... I love this engine, and it only had 160 hours. I would like to get it fixed, and this new mechanic almost guarantees that it can be fixed. I'm worried about finding parts since I've been told not all fuel system parts are out there any more, and (2) I've been told by 1 guy that the EMM will have to be sent off to be reset before any work can begin, and then he can't guarantee that he can fix it of parts are unavailable. Reading Bluewater Bills response, he leads me to think that even the injectors can be rebuilt if that's an issue. So, not sure how to package all this information. I don't have the $1000'S of dollars to throw away on looking to repair something that's unrepairable. It's not a rod-thru-the-head/block issue, or bad cylinder/piston issues that sideline good engines. It's bad fuel, and fuel pump diaphram, clogged filters/lines, or something like that. I will be sure to have my tank pumped out and new fuel added if I get the boat back running. Any othe help or advice is welcomed! Thanks.

BB