Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Highlighted
Mate

2004 225HP Direct Injection issues starting and running

I have a 2004 225HP Direct Injection Model E225FPLSOE. The motor has been problem free until recently. The last few trips I noticed it was having issues starting. Normally it fired right up as soon as I tunred the key but was taking longer to start. I had a small leak at the primer bulb so I redid the connections and this fixed the leak. This did not effect the starting issue. The plugs were about 6 months old so I changed them. Gapped and indexed. The starting issues remained. I have a starting battery and a house battery on a battery switch. When I combined the batteries the motor started better so I suspected a weak or bad battery. The battery tested fine at two different locations. The 80 gallon fuel tank was half full so I filled up the tank.The next trip out I left the batteries combined and the motor started right up each time. On the way in the motor started loosing power at around 3500 RPM. I had a friend pump the primer to see if it made a difference. A couple times we thought pumping the primer helped but this was not conclusive. The motor seemed to do better below 2500 RPM and above 4000 RPM but would ramomly loose power and sputter. It seemed like maybe it was not getting proper fuel supply? When loosing power it would run rough for a while then take off again running fine. I made it back to the dock and took the boat home. The next day I cranked the motor on the muffs and again it was running rough, sputtering at idle. When I applied the throttle it would rev up and smooth out. The starting issue had occured on severl trips and the boat had ran excellent prior to the last trip. Not sure if these issue are related or coincidence? My thoughts were. Possible bad primer bulb? With no prior issue running and the fill up one day prior. Bad gas?  Any thoughts or recommendations are appreciated.

Admiral

Re: 2004 225HP Direct Injection issues starting and running

The basics of troubleshooting should be done - compression, ignition, fuel system and fuel pressure testing.  The diagnostic software can isolate individual cylinders to determine a miss-fire or one not putting out enough power.

If you plan on servicing it yourself, obtain the factory service manual for the specs and the troubleshooting procedures.

If your engine is in the 600-800 hour range, internal wear of the injectors is possible which leans them out at lower speeds and richens them at high speeds. The leaner condition is what affects the starting.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.