Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Highlighted
Mate

2004 FICC 115 starter problem

Hi All, can i please get some help. i have a 2004 Evinrude 115 that has intermittant starting problems. firstly i will say that the batteries are fully charged, there is no issues with the neutral switch and the solenoid is testing good. Now for the problem, turn the key to start and the solenoid clicks but the starter only engages and thats it. turn the key again and solenoid does not click, it seems that i am not getting enough voltage to hold the solenoid in for starting. If i connect a 12 volt d.c. supply directly to the solenoid post (blue/yellow wire) with the ignition on the engine spins up and starts first time. i have trace the blue/yellow wire to a relay, replaced the relay and have the same issue. testing the blue yellow when trying to start i see .44v. Lastly every now and then turning the key as normal and the starter spins up correctly and the engine starts. i am dumfonded as to what tis can be, is it a stcky relay, or the ECU or just a dodgy connection that i havn't yet foung.

If i bypass all of that and run a wire from the solenoid to a starter button on the dash to a 12v supply, will i do any damage?

any help would be much appreciated.

Dave

Highlighted
Mate

Re: 2004 FICC 115 starter problem

Update to the above, I intermittently get 12v on the blue yellow wire, when I do it starts.
Highlighted
Admiral

Obviously you have to find the reason that the yellow-blue wire is only intermittently receiving the 12 volts.

Obtain a factory service manual and trace the wiring and components for breaks, chafing, poor connections, etc in the starting circuit. The manual gives you step by step instructions.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Highlighted
Mate

Thanks Bill but tried that and no closer. Ignition switch tested good along with the loom, what i have noticed is that intermittantly turning the ignition on operates the relays and the primer, the engine will then turn over and start with no running issues. try it again and no relays operate and the primer does not start, at this point the solenoid wont engage. i have checked all fuses, wiring and earths and can find no issues, Can you tell me if when the ignition is turned on what wire sends the battery to the engine to get the relays and primer to operate and does this battery go to the ECU and then the ECU operate the relays. I cant believe that if the ECU was bad i would get an intermittant problem, when they die they dont usually randomly work again.

I have seen in the wiring, some of the earth wires seem to have resistors placed in line, could these be breaking down.

also do you know if you can put a clean earth and 12v to the relay to get it to operate or do these resistors need to reduce the voltage to teh relays.

Highlighted
Admiral

We cannot fix your motor through the internet but can only offer suggestions or try to point you in the right direction.  Not only that but an intermittent electrical problem is exasperating and occasionally hard to find.

The purple wire from the keyswitch goes back to the motor to activate things. One problem many of the FICHTs had was bad solder connections or cracked circuit boats inside the power distribution panel, PDP.

We cannot stress enough that you need to follow the starting troubleshooting procedures and the wiring diagram in the factory service manual

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Highlighted
Mate

Hi All, still have the same issue but narrowing it down. i have taken the boat to an evinrude dealer and they have confirmed that the EMM is good and have said that the issue points to the power distribution panel, he wanted $816 to replace but could not confirm 100% that this was the problem, after trolling the net i found how to open the power panel and resoldered all of the joints but still have the issue. below is the wiring diagram of the set up, i am getting a high resistance eth on the relay, if i run a clean eth to the relay, the engine starts with no issue, my question now is should this be a clean eth as it goes through a diode to the relay and also connects to the emm and tacho, i dont want to cause any damage to the EMM.

As a side note, i have found that where i have installed a push button start directly to the solenoid, when i press this enough to turn the engine over once then the primer comes on and you can start the engine on the key as normal.

Untitled.png

Highlighted
Admiral

We do not recommend any changes or modifications to the motor outside of factory approved methods.

Obtain a factory service manual and follow the step by step troubleshooting procedures for starting problems.