Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Highlighted
Mate

2005 115hp Ficht motor with constant no oil light

[ Edited ]

I am new to powerboats and the engine and boat are new to me.  Wishing I'd read up on these motors a bit before taking the plunge but now it's my problem.

The engine has a no oil light constantly lighting on the dash.  The previous owner dismissed it as a bad sensor that has been a problem for years.  I am not willing to take it out on the water and destroy the engine to find out if he's right.  

I wanted to take it to a mechanic but the local ones are all booked for several weeks out.

I bought a service manual along with the diagnostic cable and software.  It all came today and I pulled the history.  There are no faults related to oil.  I am going to try and post a picture from the engine report.

e115report.jpg

From reading the service manual it looks like air in the oil line might be a cause.  Wouldn't this create an error code?  I'm going to do the purge procedure.  Is there anything else I can check?

Highlighted
Admiral

Re: 2005 115hp Ficht motor with constant no oil light

@realdeal wrote:

I am new to powerboats and the engine and boat are new to me.  Wishing I'd read up on these motors a bit before taking the plunge but now it's my problem.

The engine has a no oil light constantly lighting on the dash.  The previous owner dismissed it as a bad sensor that has been a problem for years.  I am not willing to take it out on the water and destroy the engine to find out if he's right.  

I wanted to take it to a mechanic but the local ones are all booked for several weeks out.

I bought a service manual along with the diagnostic cable and software.  It all came today and I pulled the history.  There are no faults related to oil.  I am going to try and post a picture from the engine report.

e115report.jpg

From reading the service manual it looks like air in the oil line might be a cause.  Wouldn't this create an error code?  I'm going to do the purge procedure.  Is there anything else I can check?

If there were a continuous NO OIL problem, the motor would not run faster than 2500 rpm and your engine report would show multiple code 38 instances or other related codes which means  oil  problems.  It is possible that the gauge could be faulty or possibly a wiring issue somewhere or an EMM internal glitch.

You should contact a trained tech to test and veryify the lubrication system on your engine.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.