Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Highlighted
Mate

2006 225 ETEC's

I am looking to repower my 1995 Grady White 272 Sailfish which currently has 1995 Johnson 200's. Because of weight, four strokes are not an option for me. I am planning on going to look at a pair of 2006 225's this weekend. The motors have just shy of 800 hours and were lift kept from the old owner. They have been running XD100 oil at the XD50 setting (I think that is right but, not sure what that means actually). The full history is not available but, told the old owner took care of them. Compression in July were all even and 'good' from what I was told. New numbers will be taken this weekend. They are currently on a 26 Regulator which I will be demo'ing them on. I am hoping to have printouts before I see them. I have a few questions.

1) What compression is considered good on these motors? Should I avoid them if below a specific number?
2) Besides listening to how the engine runs/feels is there anything I should pay attention to while the motors are running?
3) Other than compression is there any specific items I can visually inspect the would aid in determining the overall condition of these motors?
4) Are there any system checks I can run without the software to see if there are issues?
5) Any other things to specifically look for?

In general, are these reliable motors? Are these vintage motors prone to any specific issues and if so, is there anything preemptively that can be done to prevent failure? I don't run my boats hard. I average at 4000-4500 for cruising and do a good amount of trolling.

Any other information and/or advise is appreciated. Thanks!

Highlighted
Admiral

Re: 2006 225 ETEC's

Being already 13 years old, it may be best to enlist the services of a trained E-TEC tech withexperience.  There are updates and service bulletins that may apply to the motors also in which a tech can help.

Compression readings should be within 15# of the highest to lowest cylinder. When you test run them, be sure the motors attain at least 5400 rpm so they are not overpropped.

Check lower unit oil and the drain screw magnets. Metal dust is normal, but not chunks or slivers of metal.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.