Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Highlighted
Mate

2006 E-Tech 200hp - Issue on shut down

Hi all:  Here is the problem....

- Engine runs smooth, great performace and no issues

However....

When I put it in neutral and turn the key to off position, it shuts down but then "spools up" or has a whirring noise, not unlike the noise on the flywheel from the old pull cord engines....sounds like gears rotating.

My first thought is its an issue with the starter motr...but looking for some advice.  Thanks from a newb!!

Highlighted
Captain

Re: 2006 E-Tech 200hp - Issue on shut down

Is the boat still moving when you put it in neutral and shut it off? If so, It may be that the neutral position is out of adjustment and the motor still slightly in gear. With the boat still moving, it would cause the prop to continue rotating making the clicking sound you hear.
Highlighted
Mate

Thanks....no the throttle is def in neutral....I also left it in gear nd shut it off - same result. 

It def sounds like it is coming fromt he to of the engine, not prop or lower gear unit.

Highlighted
Mate

Anyone???? No ideas?

Highlighted
Captain

Jonesy,

I'm not sure if this is the same noise you are hearing, but when I place my key in start, my fuel pumps turn on. I usually wait to hit start buttons until they are done. When I press stop, the fuel pumps will run momentarily and then I take the key to off.

Highlighted
Captain

Remove the plastic flywheel cover to check for contact and see if the starter gear is staying engaged.
Highlighted
Mate

Thanks Rickmcd53...I didn’t know it was a plastic flywheel...I’ll check that
Highlighted
Captain

Plastic cover over metal flywheel.