Highlighted
Skipper

2006 ETEC 40hp no start

Hello all! So starting with my engine numbers:

2006 (09/2005 build date)
40hp
E40DPLSDA
Serial 05131191

I am having trouble getting my ETEC to fire up after a break down on water (cranks fine, engine doesnt run so we are all clear). I was driving on the lake just fine, and then I lost power a bit, then about 2 minutes later the engine shut off completely and never fired back up again. I have Evinrude diagnostics so I went through it and found my fuel pump was dead (only lift pressure measured while cranking and no pressure when using evinrude diagnostics to command pump to run). So I replaced the fuel vapor assembly (updated walbaro design), lift pump, filter, and lines (rubber was coming apart, hoses were "spongy"). Now the engine will cough, but still not fire up. Below is what I've done:

-check spark by cranking with inline tester on both coils and commanding coil with evinrude diag. software (spark ok, jumps 1/2 gap and nice blue color)

-check injector firing by audible click and current ramping with oscilliscope displaying pintle movement event
-check compression, even @125/130 (didnt think it was this since engine randomly ran for 10 seconds once and sounds fine)
-watch data PIDs on software while cranking (i have snapshots, not sure how to upload) I have a crank signal, and ignition voltage goes up to 200v, then system voltage goes up to 55v while cranking for a bit.

My last 2 options are crank sensor (wrong speed input/timing, causing wrong injection and spark events...maybe check with timing light?), or the dreaded failed EMM since nothing else is testing badly. That would be disappointing since the engine only has ~17hrs on it........Thanks for your help and please be technical with me. I enjoy diagnoses, but its hard to diagnose when you dont understand completely how a system functions.

Highlighted
Skipper

Re: 2006 ETEC 40hp no start

Screenshot (1).png

Screenshot (2).png

first photo is key on, second photo is after cranking a bit to get voltages up

Highlighted
Captain

Not technical but cut a strip of index card 3/8" (?) to slide into spark plug hole in front of the injectors. Run fuel pump with EV5 to build pressure then do static injector test. The card strip should jump and come out moist with fuel.
I've seen injectors that work electrically but plugged internal fuel passages prevent fuel flow.
Highlighted
Skipper

Oh I like how you think. This would make sense given all of my initial fuel issues! Thank you, I will try that tomorrow and get back to actually posting what fixed it unlike most threads...
Highlighted
Captain

That testing method works well on V engines that have 30 volt system voltage at key on.
The injectors do not pulse very hard at 12 volts.
When bench testing injector spray I've found connecting a battery charger and bringing voltage up to 14 volts will help.
Highlighted
Skipper

well i tried the index card trick, and it didnt really move or get much fuel on the card. also the engine fired up momentarily and then proceded to idle extremely rough with a shot of starter fluid which further confirms my fuel issues. injectors have been removed and sent out for cleaning/checking by SouthBayFuelInjectors. this would make sense if they're clogged up from rubber fragments or crystallized ethanol residue. ~1week turn around on those. will post back with hopefully a joyful post since i have a trip with friends planned for october 5th!

Highlighted
Skipper

no dice. SouthBay did a great job with the injectors, but still no start. failed EMM unit...... what a piece of junk that fails at less than 17hrs runtime? its a shame, i really love my evinrude engine! if i do fix it at all, ill be getting a used one because for $1,500 its hard to justify especially if there are other issues taking the EMM out

Highlighted
Captain

2006 with 17 hours runtime?

Highlighted
Mate

I feel ya. My 2007 40hp EMM died this month. $1400 later. Unfortunately, ETEC is the best option for what I do.