Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Skipper

2006 Evenrude Etec 115hp with slight miss

Hi guys, I just purchased a 2006 115hp Evenrude etec saltwater edition with 76hours on it, looks brand new and haven't been used in the last 9 years, it was winterised before it went into hibernation according to the owner and was flushed after each use. I am not familiar with these motors as I only ever owned 2-stroke Yamaha's and Mercury.

Motor runs great apart from a slight mis - no matter what RPM, it is almost like it could it be a spark plug not firing all the time or maybe perhaps a dirty injector? I'm used to dealing with carbs so this is new to me.

Can I run quicksilver's version of fuel system cleaner through this motor?
Does this motor only run on Evenrude 2stroke for this engine or can I use normal outboard 2-stroke?

Any help will be appreciated.

Admiral

Re: 2006 Evenrude Etec 115hp with slight miss

We have to know exactly what motor you have by the model number. The 115 Evinrude E-TEC first was introduced as a 2007 model year.

Follow the operators guide for fuel, oil, and maintenance items:

operators guides - http://www.operatorsguides.brp.com/

If you do not have one, you can download a free copy of the your engine's operator's guide at  http://operatorsguides.brp.com .  Select EVINRUDE (or the appropriate heading) from the pull down menu, then choose the model number or year of your motor. http://www.operatorsguides.brp.com

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Skipper

Model no: E115DSLSUC

Ser no: 05184149

Thank you for the link to the operator guide, I have alot of reading to do tonight (",)

Captain

If you are going to wrench this yourself pop over to the etecowners group forum to find a course of action.

If you are not - most important to find a competent dealer. Those engines are awesome but there are a number of things you’ll want to be on top of to keep it running like new.

You have an almost 15 year old engine you know little about the history on - I’d have the 3 year service done on it and see what else etec owners group suggests.
Captain

Did u put new plugs in it?

Captain

Captain

Plugs only is not a good idea. OP needs to get a baseline on his injectors and fuels system. With so little runtime, there could be phase separated fuel throughout the motors fuel system.

OP: DO NOT RUN THIS MOTOR any more until a qualified mechanic has proven the fuel system of the motor AND the the fuel delivery system on the boat is in good shape (in-line fuel water separator installed, no excessive vacuum being drawn by the low lift pump).

If you don’t do this the engine may run lean and become a parts motor.

One other thing comes to mind - this engine has a valve that tunes the exhaust from low to high RPM. Read about this and grease nipples on ETEC owners group V4 section.
Skipper

Thank you for all the replies, it seems that the motor had it's 300hrs service 4 months ago, new plugs and everything. Quite a large bill the previous owner had to pay, they sent me the invoice to see what all has been replaced. I am still waiting for the last engine report from the mech. There is no fuel / water seperation filter, i'm assuming it is because there is no built in tank and only 2 portable plastic tanks.

When I ran the motor there was no miss, it ran perfectly, fresh fuel in the tanks, it was only the second day early morning that I noticed the miss. 

Captain

Well then you’ll need to look at the basics of have a qualified etec mechanic - it could be anything.

Your problem is almost for sure related to fuel pressures, compression, or spark.

I recommend a fuel system inspection and also to send your injectors to the fuel injector man in Florida. I also wonder if the 300 h service covered the VST come filter.

Captain

I meant to write cone filter.