Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Skipper

2007 250 ETEC Tilt won't go down

I have a 2007 250HP Etec.     

Came back to the dock the other day tilted the motor up and down a few times.  Left it tilted up.   When I returned the next day the motor would not tilt down.    I cycle the tilt up and down from the switch and I hear the motor running but the motor won't move.    I unscrewed the resevoir cap and fluid came out so it appears that it has enough fluid.

Any ideas or suggestions to troubleshoot?

Skipper

Re: 2007 250 ETEC Tilt won't go down

Motor needs cleaning/lubing/greasing at the pivot points of the tilt system, as it should fall down under it's own weight. Find your op manual, where you can back off the manual trim/tilt checkvavle to get it to lower, just be careful. Clean and re-lube, a good spray cleaner at the knuckles it pivots around and then goodmarine lube (see OEM manual) on the zirk fittings. It may take a few up/down cycles to do free it up. 

Dumb question - These motors also have a 'mooring lock' on them for full tilt up. You didn't have a crew member aboard who - thinking they were helping you out - may have placed it in position did you?

Skipper

Thanks for the reply.    The mooring bracket is not the problem.   It is actually stuck in the up position abou 1/8" above where it (mooring lock) would rest on the bracket.

The manual release screw is frozen on....Sprayed it with PB Blaster yesterday and going to spray it again today.   But my fear is if I open the manual release screw (which is what I think you are referring to as the check valve) and the motor goes down that I may not get it back up and won't be able to pull it out of the water.

Captain

I have had some, on the trailer, that we had to push down on the rear of the lower unit while holding the trim button down.