Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Mate

2007 75hp E-Tec Hard Start problem

I'm having issues with my 2007 75hp cold starting first thing in the day after the engine sits for a week or so.  The battery is new and shouldn't be the issue.  I've read that the 2007 starters have been upgraded due to this problem.  I'm looking at replacing the starter but was wondering what the part number is.  Do I need to order part #0587045 or do I order #058768 as shown on the evinrude parts website?  If I order part #058745 do I need to replace the fly wheel cover with one that has a cutout?  What would be that part number?  Looking to do the work on my own so just need a little guidance on part numbers.

Thank you

Mate

Re: 2007 75hp E-Tec Hard Start problem

Can anyone help on this? 

Admiral

New Starter Motor 75 – 90 HP Models

Beginning with 2010 F-suffix production, a new starter motor, P/N 587007, is
used on all Evinrude E-TEC 75 – 90 HP models.

This starter motor features a planetary gear drive system that provides
increased reliability for starting in cold weather.

Note: This starter will fit  older models.

IMPORTANT: When installing this starter motor on 2004 – 2008 models, the
flywheel cover has to be replaced or cut out for clearance of the gear reduction. 

P/N 354051 - new style flywheel cover.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Mate

Hello,

I have bought a new Starter Motor Part number 587007 from db-electronics.com for my 2007 Evinrude E-tec 75HP because I have the same cold Start issues.
I have tried to mount the new starter today but it does not fit. It looks like it does not engage properly in the fly Wheel. Any ideas?
Admiral

What is your engine model number and is the starter a genuine Evinrude part or from an aftermarket supplier?

Is  DB-electronics an authorized Evinrude dealer?

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Mate

Hi Bill,

thanks for your quick reply. MY Model Number is E75DSLCS (CE 09/2007).

No the Starter is not a original Evinrude part. db electrical is an aftermarket supplier. Here is the link: 

https://www.dbelectrical.com/products/new-marine-starter-for-60hp-evinrude-e60dpj-16-18-e60hgl-17-18...

The problem is my Engine does not start under about 7 °Celsius. It sounds like the battery is weak. But I have two brand new 115 Ah Batteries, all cables are new.

I read in the community that some other people had the same issue with this engines. They wrote that the starter from the 2010 onwards models with part number 587007 will solve this problem. They told me that it will fit plug and play. You only have to modify the fly wheel cover because the new starter is slightly bigger because of the planet gear inside.

Admiral

Double check your model number as that is not correct.

Back in about  mid 2010 Evinrude changed their 3 cylinder starters to incorporate a gear reduction drive for better cold weather starting. The new starters bolt right up but you have to either replace the flywheel cover or cut out a small area near the top of the starter  to accomodate the gear reduction "hood".

# 587007 starter

Your dealer should be aware of it.

Mate

Sorry the Model number is E75DSLSCS.
What is the price for the Original Evinrude starter #587007 in the US?
Do you have any idea what could be the Problem? I try to send some pictures today.
Admiral

@Christoph wrote:
Sorry the Model number is E75DSLSCS.

Your engine is a 2008 model, not a 2007.