Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
jm
Captain

2007 E-Tec low water pressure

I have a 2007 220 HO E-Tec with low water pressure.  The water pump and housing has been replaced by dealer.  Water pressure is zero at idle, and only get up to about 12 when on plane.  Also, computer read out says the motor over heated about 50 hours ago.

I'm concern about over heating engine computer.  Any ideas?

Admiral

Re: 2007 E-Tec low water pressure

Low water pressure can also be caused by stuck open thermostats and a sticking or debris jammed pressure relief valve.

Of course, incorrectly installed water pumps can do the same.

Was a complete #5001595 pump kit installed or just an impeller?

It also may be a good idea to check your gauge to be sure it is accurate.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

jm
Captain

I replaced the water screens with a high flow screen (Part number 0-5007081)  this corrected the issue.  My old 2005 e-tec had the same issue.  However, it never got hot enough to cause a problem.

Thank you for you advise.

Admiral

@jm wrote:

I replaced the water screens with a high flow screen (Part number 0-5007081)  this corrected the issue.  My old 2005 e-tec had the same issue.  However, it never got hot enough to cause a problem.

Thank you for you advise.

Is the water pressure still at zero at idle?

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

jm
Captain

Yes.  However, I have a strong stream of water coming out the indicator tube.  Also, my gauge still shows 12 while on plane.

Admiral

[ Edited ]

@jm wrote:

I have a 2007 220 HO E-Tec with low water pressure.

Water pressure is zero at idle, and only get up to about 12 when on plane. 

@jm wrote:

I replaced the water screens with a high flow screen (Part number 0-5007081)  this corrected the issue. 

@BluewaterBill wrote:

Is the water pressure still at zero at idle?

@jm wrote:

Yes,       Also, my gauge still shows 12 while on plane.

It appears then that you still have low pressure or a questionable gauge and changing the pickup screens did not improve anything from what you are telling us.

jm
Captain

The pressure stream that comes from the indicator tube went from very low force to a much higher force.  Doesen't that mean I have higher pressure?  What should the pressure be?  Can I test the pressure at one of the hoses on the engine?

Admiral

Remove the water pressure fitting on the engine block and temporarily hook up a known accurate pressure gauge and monitor the readings every 1000 rpm plus full throttle and dead idle.

Idle should be in the 3-5 psi range

Then post the other readings here and know which gearcase you have on the motor if it is not the original one.

Captain

I cured low water pressure readings on a boat by removing the water pressure tube from the engine and gauge then blowing air through it. Had some green algae come out of the tube.