Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Mate
Accepted Solution

2007 ETEC 115 Loses Power at Higher Speeds

We have a 2007 Evinrude ETEC 115 E115DSLSUC and have not had any problems over the couple of years we’ve had it so far until yesterday. We have been using it all week but just yesterday it started to lose power at higher speeds. It will start fine and get on a plane fine but after WOT for about 20 seconds it will suddenly lose power quickly and surge a little before losing power completely. It works fine at low speeds, but at any speed on a plane, it seems to starve for fuel. It can basically troll around indefinitely but cannot maintain speed on a plane.

We topped it off with gas and oil. We replaced the spark plugs and in-line fuel filter but had no change.

Since the dealer is 1 month out to just make an appointment for tests and another month out to actually fix it (which basically takes up the whole summer here in Michigan), we are leaning toward trying fixing it ourselves to salvage as much of the rest of the summer as possible.

If anyone could give us any advice on the most-likely culprit, it would be much appreciated.

We uploaded a video at the following link that shows what happens at WOT: https://youtu.be/gwSblfUy5wI In this test it runs fine for about 20 seconds before losing power. It surges a couple times before completely losing power.

I have been reading threads about surging and fuel flow issues as well as about the dangers of ethanol. We have been using ethanol gas as that is what is mostly available. We have been typically doing higher octane though like 91-93.

We have been been thinking about if it is worth it or not to get as much gas out of the tank as possible and add an additive like Lucas fuel treatment to see if that cleans it up and helps anything. However, we have heard that will likely not affect anything.

In the future I will try to source out some ethanol-free gas.

It seems to us to be a fuel flow problem but after reading many threads and talking to a couple people, it seems it could possibly be something else like an injector issue. 

I have been reading some threads about having a boat mounted fuel water separator, and after some searching on our boat, it does not appear to have one (so we might do that in the off season).

I have read that a fuel flow issue may involve a bad fuel pump or bad fuel lines.

Our leading theory is that we need a new fuel pump. Does anyone know of any test that can be done that does not require specialty equipment that could indicate if the fuel pump is bad? It does not look like our motor is equipped with a primer to be able to do that sort of test. Maybe taking apart the fuel pump could help and the fuel pump can even be repaired?

The other question then is if we do get a new fuel pump, is there just one unit for high and low pressures? I read somewhere that these have a high pressure pump and a low pressure pump but when I look at this diagram it seems to have just one assembly: http://www.crowleymarine.com/johnson-evinrude/parts/62884.cfm?mdl=I5MORR

In a Four Winns I/O that we had, we had to replace the fuel pump once because the high pressure part went bad but it was only one unit with both the high pressure and low pressure parts.

We may just have to gamble and order the $300 5007174 pump and see how if that works. Does this seem like the most logical guess if we were to gamble?

I know this is probably a lot to ask but any input anyone has would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Admiral

Re: 2007 ETEC 115 Loses Power at Higher Speeds

[ Edited ]

If you have the tools and know how - monitor the fuel rail pressure while running the boat, especially as it loses power. If the pressure drops, then you have to have the fuel system in the boat and in the lines checked for air bubbles and restrictions.

The best way is to have the diagnostic software hooked up and the "flight recorder" function engaged to monitor the EMM signals just before and as the motor loses power.

You can order parts books and service manuals from www.outboardbooks.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Mate

Thank you I will look into that
Mate

Update:

After replacing the oil to make sure it had pure XD50 and also adding evinrude fuel treatment to the gas, that did not seem to make a difference. We then started to take apart the VST. We took out the VST filter and it was about 1/3 clogged. We cleaned that with brake cleaner. Then we opened the VST and saw that it was full of gas. We then opened the bottom part of the VST and drained the gas from it. We found that there was some crud and particles in the bottom part of the VST near the inlet to the high pressure fuel pump. We cleaned all that out and put it back together. We used the primer bulb to fill the VST back up so that showed that fuel flow seemed to be unrestricted up to that point.

Then we put her back in for another test ride and she ran like a top! I'm a happy camper now. My theory is that the crud and particles in the bottom of the VST compartment were clogging the inlet filter on the high pressure valve so that it could not pump enough gas through to maintain high RPM's. Similar to the situation I had back on my Four Winns.
Captain

There is a non removable screen filter in the bottom of the electric fuel pump. You can remove the one clamp screw holding the fuel pump on and pull the pump our of the VST, without having to remove the VST.bthat screen can be washed off.
Mate

That little screen is not so easy to wash off when it's clogged with dissolved rubber from a disintegrated fuel line!

On my motor, the last foot of the fuel line from the in-line filter to the VST inlet had dissolved internally.

I flushed ithe pump inlet screen out with CRC 66 and some suction. 95% clear but there is still some stubborn crud visible.

I stripped the VST and cleaned all components because it had ALOT of rubber in it too!

The return line filter wasn't very clogged at all.That will only capture the particles that have gone through the pump and around the fuel rails to the injectors and back to the VST. The fuel I drained out of the high pressure side of the system did have some black particles in it so hopefully the injectors can handle a bit of crud!?

New hose arrives tomorrow so a test run this coming weekend should see if further work required. Fingers crossed...

Highlighted
Mate

So the new hose arrived yeterday. 3 weeks later than promised!

Just as well I temporarily fitted a 3/8 fuel line I had sitting around so I could test the motor!

Took the boat for a run 2 weeks ago and the problem is cured!

I'll still get a full service done on the injectors, fuel pump, etc at the end of the summer but I'm happy that I've cleaned the system enough for now.

I would advise anyone having fuel starvation problems with their ETEC to CHECK THE FUEL LINES IN THE MOTOR!

A simple squeeze of the lines can reveal the problem!